- submitted by Dahlia on 03-30-2011
(Dried Fish Curry)
Karuvaatu kulambu or dry fish curry is a yummy South Indian fish curry recipe in which the dried fish is cooked along with some vegetable like brinjal, drumstick, raw mango, etc.. in a tangy coconut tamarind sauce.
Dried Fish - 1/2 lb
Shallot Onion - 5/ Onion - 1/2 (chopped)
Tomato - 1 (chopped)
Green Chillies - 2
Brinjals (Eggplant) - 3
Drumstick - 1
Raw Mango - 1/2
Corriander Powder - 2 tsp
Red Chilly Powder - 2 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
Grated Coconut - 1/4 cup
Tamarind Pulp - 1/4 cup
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek Seeds - 1/4 tsp
Curry Leaves - 2 springs
1. Soak the dried fish in some water for about 10 minutes.
2. Drain the water and wash it thoroughly to remove any grits.
3. Heat oil in a pan and splutter the mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds and curry leaves.
4. Add the onions and green chillies and fry it golden brown.
5. Add the chopped tomatoes and cook till the tomatoes become mushy.
6. Add the salt, turmeric powder, chilly powder and corriander powder. Also add the chopped vegetables.
7. Add the tamarind pulp and required water. Bring it to a boil.
8. Cover and let it cook till the vegetables are almost cooked.
8. Make a smooth paste of the coconut and add it to the gravy.
9. Finally add the dried fish. Cover again and cook till the oil seperates from the gravy.
10. Switch off and let the gravy rest for atleast 1 hour before serving.