- recipe by Sabina submitted on 04-16-2010
Urad dal - 1 cup
Raw Rice - 1 cup
Salt - 1 tsp
Oil - for frying the panniyarams
Milk - 1 cup or as needed ( You can also use diluted coconut milk instead)
Sugar - as needed to sweeten the milk.
Cardomom - a pinch
1. Soak the rice and dal for atleast 1 hour.
2. Gind it to a very fine paste with salt. There should not be any coarse particles of rice in the batter.
3. Heat oil in a kadai for frying the paniyarams.
4. Drop small amount of batter in medium hot oil and fry till it turns golden brown. The batter will form round balls.
5. In the meantime, add cardomom and sugar to the milk. Make the milk a little extra sweet as it has to flavour the paniyarams.
6. Drop the fried paniyaram balls to the sweetened milk and let it soak for 5 minutes.
7. Serve as a snack or tiffen.
Before frying the paniyarams in the hot oil, you have to be careful about a few points to prevent them from bursting in hot oil.
- The batter should be a very fine paste.
- The oil should be medium hot (not very hot).
- You can fry some cashews and raisins in ghee and top each bowl with a few. This will make it more richer.
- You can make this paniyaram whenever you make idli batter at home. Before mixing the urad dal batter and rice batter, just take a small cup of the urad dal batter and rice batter for the paniyarams. This way you can enjoy paniyarams often with less effort.
Serves : 4