- Submitted by Grace Sam on 1st Sep 2011
(Kanava Thoran, Squid Stirfry)
This seafood dish is very common in most costal regions of India. Squid rings are cooked with mild spices and topped with roasted powdered rice. The coarse rice adds a unique nutty flavour to the dish. Another variation is to top with roasted coconut. Either way, this dish makes an excellent combination with white rice and some curry or with kappa (boiled tapioca).
Recipe For Squid Stir Fry
Squid / Kanava / Calamari - 1 lb (1/2 kg)
- Garlic Cloves - 2
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Red Chilly Powder (or red pepper flakes) - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander Powder - 1/4 tsp
- Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves - 2 springs
- Oil - 2 tbsp (preferably coconut oil)
- Salt - to taste
To roast & powder
- Rice - 1/2 cup
- Fenugreek Seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Cumin Seeds - 1/4 tsp
Clean the squid and cut it into rings.
- Heat oil in a kadai or pressure cooker and splutter some mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Cook the squid with some water, salt, garlic cloves and turmeric powder till the squid gets tender. You can also pressure cook for 2-3 whistles.
- In the meantime dry roast the rice on low flame till it turns golden brown.
- When the rice is nicely roasted, add the fenugreek seeds and cumin seeds. Fry for just a minute and switch off.
- Coarsely powder the mixture and keep it aside.
- When the squid is tender and most of the moisture has evaporated, add the chilly powder and coriander powder.
- Finally add the coarsely powdered rice. Check for salt and other seasonings and adjust if needed.
- Cook for about 5 minutes and switch off.
- Squid thoran goes very well with rice and some curry, boiled tapioca or even with chappatti.
More Seafood Recipes