- recipe by Sabina submitted on 09-07-2008
Coconut- 3 tblsp
Red chilly powder - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric pwd - 1/2 tsp
Shallots - 3 or 4
Green chilly - 2
Curry leaves - 1 stem
Tamarind water - little (1/4 cup)
Water - 1 1/2 cup (or as needed)
Oil - 2tsp
Red chilly - 2cnt
Curry leaves - 1stem
Shallot - 1 cnt (finely chopped)
1.Grind the first 3 ingredients (coconut, chilly powder and turmeric powder) very well to form a smooth paste.
2. Atlast put the shallots, curryleaves and green chillies and grind slightly.
3. Remove the ground mixture in a vessel and add the tamarid water and water to it. This is the aanam mix.
4. In a pan put oil and temper the seasoning ingredients. The shallot should turn dark brown.
5.Then add the aanam mix to this and heat it but don't boil it.
6. Serve with rice, aviyal and fish fry.
- You can also add a few fenugreek seeds while tempering for an added flavour.
- Some people do not add turmeric powder in which case the gravy will be orange in colour.