- submitted by Dahlia on 03-03-2009
(Cauliflower Rice, Gobhi Pulav)
Basmati Rice - 2 cups
Cauliflower - 1 (medium size cut into small florets)
Onion - 1/2 sliced
Ginger garlic Paste - 1 tsp
Green Chillies - 5 (finely chopped)
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Garam masala - 1/4 tsp
Fennel Powder - 1 tblsp
Pepper Powder - 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds (Shahi Jeera) - 1 tsp
Cilantro - handful (finely chopped)
Oil/Ghee/Butter - 1 tblsp
1. Heat little oil/ghee/butter in a pan and splutter the cumin seeds.
2. Saute the onions till it turns golden brown followed by green chillies and ginger garlic paste.
3. Add the cauliflower florets along with turmeric powder, garam masala, fennel powder, pepper powder and required salt.
4. Add the soaked rice, 3 cups of water and required salt.
5. Cover and let it cook till the pulao is done. You can cook in a pressure cooker for 1 whistle or in a rice cooker too.
6. Finally add finely chopped cilantro and serve with onion raita or any other vegetable raita.
- If you have left over cooked rice, follow the above recipe till step 3. After that add just 2-3 tblsp of water and cook the cauliflower. The cauliflower should be completely cooked but still retain its crunchiness. After that mix the cooked rice, check for salt and garnish with finely chopped cilantro.
- You could also add toasted cashews for added richness.
- You could make the rice more rich by cooking the whole thing in coconut milk.
- You could also make potato pulao, beans pulao, peas pulao, carrot puloa, soya pulao etc using the same recipe