- submitted by Dahlia on 09-10-2008
Mushroom - 2 cups (chopped)
- Tamarind juice - 1 tbsp (or Tomato - 1)
Turmeric powder - a pinch
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Curry leaves - 1 strand
- Oil - 2 tbsp
Cilantro - for garnish
- Peppercorns - 1 tsp
Dry red chillies - 2
- Coriander seeds - 1 tbsp
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Fennel seeds - 1/2 tsp
Shallot onions - 2-3
- Garlic cloves - 2
Roast all the ingredients under 'spice mixture' separately till a nice aroma is released. If you do not have time roast everything together.
- Once it cools, grind it to a coarse powder and keep aside.
Clean the mushroom using a paper towel and chop it lengthwise.
- Heat oil in a pan, splutter the mustard seeds and curry leaves.
Add the chopped mushrooms to this and saute for 5 minutes till the mushrooms get a nice colour. Do not add water. The water from the mushroom is sufficient.
- Add the tomatoes/tamarind juice with required salt and turmeric powder. Cover and let it cook for a few minutes.
Add the spice mixture and mix everything for a minute.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Serve as a side dish for rice or roti or use as a stuffing for mushroom puffs or masala dosa.
- A tbsp of grated coconut can also be added along with the spice mixture for added flavor.
Other Chettinad Recipes