- submitted by Dahlia on 13th June 2013
(Eral Thokku, Shrimp Masala)
Prawns (or Shrimp) - 1 lb (about 1/2 kg)
- Onion - 2 (chopped)
Ginger - 1" piece (minced)
- Garlic - 5 cloves (minced)
Tomato - 1 big (or 2 small chopped)
- Curry Leaves - 2 sprigs
Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
Red Chilly Powder - 1 or 2 tsp (adjust according to your taste)
- Coriander Powder - 2 tsp
Garam Masala - 1/2 tsp
- Pepper Powder - 1/4 tsp (optional)
Lemon Juice - few drops
- Oil - 1 tblsp
Salt - to taste
- Coriander Leaves (Cilantro) and Lemon wedge - for garnish
Clean the shrimp (or prawns) and devein them.
- Add little salt, pepper powder and lemon juice. Let this rest and marinate till you prepare the other stuff.
- Take a frying pan and add oil to it. Splutter the mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Add the onions and saute till it turns golden brown. Add the finely chopped ginger and garlic.
- Add the chopped (or pureed) tomato. Cook till the tomatoes are cooked.
Mix the dry spice powder - turmeric powder, red chilly powder, coriander powder and garam masala.
- Let it cook till oil separates from the masala.
Add the prawns and mix for 2 minutes so that all the prawns will coated with the masala.
- Add very little water and required salt. You can made a dry prawns (or shrimp) masala by cooking on low heat without adding any water. Adjust the water as per your requirement.
Cover and let it cook for about 10 minutes till all the prawns curls up into a 'c' or 'O' shape. This is an indication that it is done.
- Garnish with cilantro and a lemon wedge and switch off.
Spicy prawns masala is ready to server.
Other Chettinad Recipes