-Submitted by Elizabeth
(Non-Vegetarian Fried Rice, Fried Rice with Chicken and Egg, Mixed Fried Rice, Indian-Chinese Fried Rice)
Fried rice is a dish that originated in china but is made all around the world with its own variations. The Indo-Chinese version of fried rice has become one of the favorites among all Indians. In this cooked rice is stir-fried with veggies, meat, eggs and soy sauce which together makes a wonderful delicacy. I will be sharing some other variations like the American fried rice, Thai fried rice, Hawaiian fried rice etc soon.
Fried rice is usually made with leftover rice and vegetables or meat. It is traditionally made in a wok over high heat to retail the crunchiness of the vegetables while frying the rice. The rice has to be cooled before stir-frying so that the rice gets fried well. Any combination of vegetables or meat can be used depending on what is available on hand. The following is the recipe for chicken fried rice. The recipe can be modified to get turkey fried rice, mutton fried rice, pork fried rice, beef fried rice, shrimp fried rice or even mixed fried rice using a combination of meat. The meatless versions are egg fried rice and vegetable fried rice. For egg fried rice, just skip the meat and increase the number of eggs by 6. For vegetable fried rice, just skip the eggs and the meat. You can even add some fruits like pineapple and mango when making the fried rice.
- Rice – 2 cups uncooked (or use 4 cups of cooked leftover rice)
- Mixed Vegetables – 1 cup (You can use any vegetables that you have on hand like onion, carrot, french beans, water chestnuts, green peas, cabbage, capsicum, mushrooms, celery, leeks, corn, baby corn etc. The list is endless.)
- Meat – 1 cup (I usually use boneless skinless chicken breast cut into thin strips. You can also use turkey, pork, shrimp or a mix of different meat)
- Eggs – 2 or 3
- Garlic – 1 tbsp (minced)
- Ginger – 1 tbsp (minced)
- Scallions (Spring Onion) – 1 bunch (6-8 stems)
- Soya Sauce – 2 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper – 1 tbsp
- Sesame Oil – 2 tbsp (or use Olive Oil)
- Chicken bouillon cubes - 1 cube (or use ¼ tsp of Ajinomoto) - If you are not comfortable using this, just skip it.
Chop all the vegetables in uniform size and keep it ready. You can either dice it or julienne it. Similarly, chop the meat into uniform sized cubes or strips.
Cook the rice: Fried rice can be made with leftover rice taken straight from the refrigerator for best results. If you do not have left over rice, cook 2 cups of rice with 1 ¾ cups of water and spread it on a tray to cool down. If the rice is hot, it will start breaking while stir frying. You can use basmati rice or any regular rice to make this.
Scramble the eggs: Break open the eggs in a small bowl. Heat little oil in a wok/kadai/pan and add the eggs. When it begins to get fried, stir-fry with a spoon to scramble it. Remove it and keep it aside.
Prepare the meat: Take the diced chicken (or any other meat that you are using) and season with some salt and pepper. Heat little more oil in the same wok and add the meat. Stir fry over medium high heat till the meat is cooked through. Remove and keep it aside. If not, move it to the sides of the pan and make a space in the center.
- Add the vegetables: Put few more drops of oil in the space created and add the minced garlic and ginger. Stir-fry for a minute. Now add the vegetables and cook for couple of minutes.
- Add the sauce: Add the soy sauce, salt and the chicken cubes (or ajinomoto). Stir-fry the vegetables and the meat together for another minute. If you use dark soy sauce, it gives a deeper color whereas if you use the light soy sauce, it yields a lighter color. I have used dark soy here.
- Mix the rice: Add the cooked and cooled rice. Stir-fry everything together till the sauce coats the rice, the vegetables and the meat are uniformly distributed.
- Garnish and Serve: Finally top with the chopped spring onions and scrambled egg. Serve hot immediately.
Detailed Steps for Chicken Fried Rice
First step is to cook the rice and cool it. Fried rice can be made with leftover rice from previous day. If not, cook 2 cups of rice with 1 ¾ cups of water and cool down before using.
Heat little oil in a pan and add the eggs. Stir-fry with a spoon to scramble it. Remove it and keep it aside.
Take the diced chicken and season with some salt and pepper. Heat little more oil in the same wok and add the meat. Stir fry over medium high heat till the meat is cooked through. Move it to the sides of the pan and make a space in the center.
Put few more drops of oil in the space created and add the minced garlic and ginger. Stir-fry for a minute. Now add the vegetables and cook for couple of minutes. Usually, I like to add vegetables like beans and carrot first. After a minute, I add the other vegetables and stir-fry for another minute or two.
Add the soy sauce, salt and the chicken cubes (or ajinomoto). Stir-fry the vegetables and the meat together for another minute.
Add the cooked and cooled rice. Stir-fry till the sauce coats the rice, the vegetables and the meat are uniformly distributed.
Finally top with chopped spring onions and the scrambled egg. It is ready to be served.
- You can add 1 tsp of vinegar or lemon juice along with the soy sauce if you prefer a tangy touch to the fried rice.
- You can make fried rice with a single vegetables, mixed vegetables alone, eggs and vegetables, egg and meat skipping the vegetables, with mixed meat varieties etc. This procedure is a common one that you can follow to make your own variation of Indo-Chinese style fried rice.
- Serve the fried rice plain as a simple meal with some tomato ketchup on the side.
- You can make it a rich meal to serve for parties or for guests with some suitable Indo-Chinese side dishes.
More Indian-Chinese Dishes