- submitted by Dahlia on 12-31-2008
This cake is called the 1234 cake
because it uses 1 cup butter, 2 cups sugar, 3 cups maida and 4 eggs. You can make a simple 1234 cake by using 1 cup of milk along with the above ingredients. To bring in the coconut flavour, we use coconut milk instead. The cake is then finished with any frosting of your choice and lots of sweetened shredded coconut flakes.
All Purpose Flour(Maida) - 3 cups
(If you want more coconut flavour, use 2.5 cups of maida and 1/2 cup of shredded coconut)
Unsalted Butter - 1 cup (at room temperature)
Sugar - 2 cups
Eggs - 4 (yellow and whites seperated)
Vanilla Extract - 1 tsp
Baking Soda - 1 tsp
Salt - a pinch
Milk/Coconut Milk - 1 cup
1. Beat the butter with a hand mixer until it is fluffy.
2. Add sugar and egg yolks to this and continue to mix it.
3. Mix all the dry ingredients (flour, salt and baking soda) seperately in a bowl.
4. Add the dry ingredients and milk alternately to the butter mixture and continue to mix it.
5. Add the vanilla extract to the batter.
6. Beat the egg whites seperately till stiff peaks are formed.
7. Fold in the egg whites gently with the cake batter.
8. Transfer the batter to 2-3 cake pans (depending on the size of the pan) and bake it for 25-30 minutes in a oven preheated to 350 degee F.
9. Check if the cakes are done by inserting a toothpick. The cake is cooked if the toothpick comes out clean.
10. Cool the cakes completely before applying the frosting.
11. For the frosting, I've done a simple whipped cream icing with sweetened shredded coconut flakes all over.