- submitted by Dahlia on 02-13-2008
For the cake
All purpose flour - 2 1/4 cups
- Cocoa powder - 4 tbsp
Vanilla extract - 1 tsp
- Baking soda - 1 tsp
- Butter - 1/2 cup (You can also use olive oil instead)
Red food colouring - 3 tblsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Sugar - 1 1/2 cup
- Eggs - 2
- Buttermilk - 1 cup
For the frosting
- Cream cheese/Butter - 16 oz (should be at room temperature)
- Sugar - as needed (app. 1 lb)
- Vanilla extract - 1 tsp
For the Cake
- Beat the eggs with a fork or mixer. Add oil and blend again.
- Mix together the dry ingredients i.e flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, sugar and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Add this to the beaten egg. Add the buttermilk little by little until the mixture is nicely blended.
- Finally blend in the red food colour and vanilla extract.
- Divide and spread the batter uniformly in 2 9 "cake pans or 3 8"cake pans.
- Bake for 20 -30 minutes in the oven preheated to 350 degree F. Check if the cake is done by inserting a toothpick in the middle of the cake. It should come out clean.
- Switch off the oven and cool the cake before applying the frosting. Cut the top to make it flat before applying the frosting.
For The Frosting
- In a large bowl beat the cream cheese/ butter or a combination of both.
- Beat the sugar and vanilla extract too until a fluffy frosting is ready.
- Spread the frosting around and in between the layers of cake.
Baked Red Velvet Cake
Apply the frosting