- submitted by Dahlia on 06-15-2009
(Rava Biryani, Rava Chicken Kichadi, Cracked Wheat Biriyani, Cracked Wheat Upma)
Cracked Wheat - 2 cups (You could also use rava instead)
Chicken - 1/2 lb (1/4 kg or little lesser)
(Alternatively, you could also use 1 cup of chopped assorted vegetables or 1 cup of shrimp)
Onion - 1 (chopped)
Tomato - 1
Ginger garlic paste - 2 tsp
Green Chillies - 2
Biryani Masala - 1 tblsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Fennel Powder - 1 tsp
Chilly Powder - 1 tsp (or as needed)
Mint leaves - handful
Cilantro - handful
Whole Garam Masala - (1 bay leaf, 2 cinnamon sticks, 4 cloves, 3 cardamon)
Yogurt - 1/2 cup
Water - 3.5 cups (exact measure for craked wheat)
If you are making biryani with rava, use just 2.5 cups of water.
Ghee/Oil - 2 tblsp
Salt - as needed
1. Marinate the chicken with yogurt, ginger garlic paste, garam masala powder, salt, fennel powder, chilly powder and turmeric powder.
2. Roast the cracked wheat in some ghee/ oil. This step is optional but adds a nice nutty flavour and helps keep the grains seperate without forming lumps.
3. Heat 1 tblsp of oil/ghee in a pan and add the whole garam masala to it.
4. Saute the onions and green chillies till it turns golden brown.
5. Add the chopped tomatoes and let it cook till the tomatoes become nice and mushy.
6. Add chopped mint leaves and cilantro (corriander leaves) and saute for a minute.
7. Next add the marinated chicken and biryani masala. Cover and let it cook in the marinated liquid until the chicken is completely cooked.
(If you are making veg biryani, add the chopped vegetables directly at this stage.)
8. Add 3.5 cups of water, required salt and bring it to a boil.
9. Add the cracked wheat to this and bring it to a boil once again.
10. Reduce the flame to the lowest setting, cover with a lid and let it cook for 10-15 minutes. Do not mix in between
11. Fluff up with a fork and keep covered for another 5 minutes.
12. Garnish with chopped cilantro, toasted nuts and raisins. Serve the hot cracked wheat biryani with raita
- You could also make vegetable cracked wheat biryani, mushroom craked wheat biryani
or shrimp craked wheat biryani
- Instead of cracked wheat, you could use other ingredients like rava, grits or cornmeal to make rava biryani, grits biryani or cornmeal biryani
Serves : 4
See other Biryani Recipes.