- submitted by Dahlia on 06-24-2008
(Thayir Idli, Dahi Idli)
Mini Idlis - 25
Curd - 4-5 cup
Milk/ Water - 1 cup
Cilantro - for garnish
Carrot(grated)- for garnish
Sugar - a pinch
Salt - to taste
Cashew - 1 tblsp
Coconut (fresh grated) - 2 tblsp
Green chillies - 2
Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves - 5-6
Urad dal - 1/2 tsp
Dry red chillies - 3-4
Asaefoetida - a pinch
Oil - 1 tblsp
1. Make mini idlis in the usual procedure and keep aside. If you do not have mini idli plate, make regular idlis and cut it into four.
2. Beat the curd with water/ milk. Add the required salt and sugar to it.
3. Heat oil in a small pan, splatter the mustard seeds, urad dal, dry red chillies and curry leaves.
4. Add this to the beaten curd with a pinch of asaefoetida.
5. Grind the cashews, green chillies and grated coconut together and add it to the curd as well.
6. Finally add the idlis half an hour before serving to prevent it from becoming soggy.
7. Garnish with grated carrot and chopped cilantro.
8. Refrigerate and serve it chillied. It is the most refreshing snack for a summer day.
- You can even fry the idlis before adding to the curd to prevent it from getting too soggy quickly. In that case, do not overfry so that the idli changes its colour but try to retain the cream colour.