- Submitted by Dahlia on 4th Sep 2009
(South Indian Mixture, Chivda, Spicy Mixture)
Mixture is a spicy Indian Snack which has different variations in different states. It has different names like chivda, bombay mix, Gujarathi mix, chanachur, Punjabi mix, bhujia or even just as 'mixture'. As the name indicates, it is a spicy mixture of different ingredients like sev, fried curry leaves, boondi, fried onions, fried garlic, fried poha (flaked rice), chikpeas, dalia etc. There is no fixed recipe and different ingredients can be assembled and flavoured based on individual taste. The recipe given below is that of a South Indian 'mixture'. Feel free to add or change the ingredients based on the availability and individual taste.
Omapodi (Sev) - 2 cups
- Boondi - 2 cups
- Banana Chips - 1/4 cup
- Roasted Peanuts - 2 tbsp
- Dalia (Pottukadalai) - 2 tbsp
- Curry Leaves - 2 strands
- Garlic - 1 whole
- Chilly Powder - 1 tsp
- Aval (roasted) - 1/2 cup
- Roasted Green Peas - 2 tbsp
- Roasted Cashews - 2-3 tbsp
- Raisins - 2 tbsp
- In a big mixing bowl, take whatever items you have on hand to make the mixture. I have taken spicy bhoondhi, omapodi (sev), banana chips, roasted peanuts and dalia. Most of the ingredients are home made.
- Heat oil in a small pan and fry the curry leaves. Remove it out and add it to the mixing bowl.
- Crush the garlic cloves using a mortar and pestle and fry it in the same oil.
- Add this fried garlic also to the mixing bowl.
- Add some red chili powder and toss everything together.
- You can store this in airtight box for more than a month. Serve with evening tea or as a sidedish for rasam rice or curd rice.
More Snack Recipes