- submitted by Dahlia on 04-09-2009
(South Indian Mixture, chivda, bombay mix, Gujarathi mix, Chanachur, Punjabi mix, Bhujia)
Mixture is a spicy Indian Snack which has different variations in different states. It has different names like chivda, bombay mix, Gujarathi mix, chanachur, Punjabi mix, bhujia
or even just as 'mixture
'. As the name indicates, it is a spicy mixture of different ingredients like sev, fried curry leaves, boondi, fried onions, fried garlic, fried poha (flaked rice), chikpeas, dalia etc. There is no fixed recipe and different ingredients can be assembled and flavoured based on individual taste. The recipe given below is that of a South Indian 'mixture' but feel free to add or change the ingredients based on the availability and individual taste.
Omapodi (Sev) - 2 cups
Boondi - 2 cups
Banana Chips - 1/4 cup
Roasted Peanuts - 2 tblsp
Dalia (Pottukadalai) - 2 tblsp
Curry Leaves - 2 strands
Garlic - 1 whole
Chilly Powder - 1 tsp
Aval(roasted) - 1/2 cup
Roasted Green Peas - 2 tblsp
Roasted Cashews - 2-3 tblsp
Raisins - 2 tblsp
1. In a big mixing bowl, add the bhoondhi, omapodi (sev), banana chips, roasted peanuts and dalia.
2. Heat oil in a small pan and fry the curry leaves. Remove it out and add it to the mixing bowl.
3. Crush the garlic cloves using a mortar and pastle and fry it in the same oil.
4. Add this fried garlic also to the mixing bowl.
5. Add some chilly powder and toss everything together.
6. You can store this in airtight box for more than a month. Serve with evening tea or as a sidedish for rasam rice or curd rice.