-submitted by Dahlia on 11-17-2007
(Peas Pulav, Matar Pulao, Pattani Sadam)
Basmati rice – 2 cups
Green peas - 1 cup
Onion - 1 big/ 2 small (cut lengthwise)
Ginger- Garlic paste – 1 tsp
Green chilli -3 (finely chopped)
Bay leaf - 1
Cloves - 3
Cinnamon stick - 2
Cardamon - 2
Cumin seeds - ¼ tsp
Water - 2 cups
Coconut milk (diluted with water) – 1.5 cups
Salt - to taste
Oil - 2 tblsp
Ghee - 2 tblsp
Fried curry leaves – 8-10 (for ganish)
Corriander leaves( Cilantro) – for garnish
1. Soak the basmati rice in water for 10 minutes and drain the water completely. Heat 1 tblsp of ghee in a pan and fry the rice till it releases a nice aroma. Remove and keep aside.
3. Now heat oil and the remaining ghee in the pan and add bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom and cumin seeds.
4. Add the green chillies, onions and ginger-garlic paste and fry everything for 5 minutes until the everything becomes tender.
5. Now add this mixture along with salt, green peas, fried rice, coconut milk and water in a rice cooker.
6. Once the rice is done, garnish with cilantro. Serve with spicy chicken curry.