- submitted by Dahlia on 01-03-2008
(Javarisi Upma, Chowwary Uppuma, Sago Salad)
Sabudhana (Javarisi, sago) - 1 cup
Roasted Peanuts - 1/2 cup (coarsely powdered)
Potato - 1 (cut into small pieces) - You can also use 1/4 cup of other chopped vegetables like carrot, capsicum , green peas etc
Onion - 1/2 (sliced)
Salt - to taste
Oil/Ghee - 1 tblsp
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves - 6
Green chillies - 2-3 (finely chopped)
Cilantro - handful
1. Wash the sago and soak it overnight (or atleast 2 hours). Before using the sago, wash and drain for 2-3 times to get rid of the extra strach.
2. Heat oil in a pan, temper mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Add chopped onions, green chillies and curry leaves and toss them for a few minutes.
3. Next add the potato pieces (and/or other vegetables of you choice). Cover and cook till it is completely cooked.
4. You can add a pinch of turmeric powder if you like the kichadi to have a nice yellow colour. This is optional.
5. Next add the sago and required salt. Mix everything, reduce the heat and cook it covered for about 3 minutes. No water is needed. The water that the sago must have absorbed duing soaking is sufficient to cook it.
6. Add the peanut powder and mix everything. Increase the heat and keep tossing for another 2 minutes.
7. Finally add chopped cilantro, mix and switch off.
- Coconut lovers can add handful of grated coconut at the end instead of cilantro.