- submitted by Dahlia on 12-23-2007
(Rava Kichadi, Semolina Kichdi)
Grits / Rava (roasted) - 1 cup
Onion - 1 (chopped)
Green Chilly - 2(minced)
Tomato - 1(chopped)
Carrot - 1(grated)
Green Peas - 1/4 cup
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves - 5
Cilantro - handful(chopped)
Oil - 1 tblsp
Ghee - 1 tsp
Salt - to taste
Water - 3 cups
1. Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds and fry the curry leaves.
2. Saute the onions and green chillies until the onions become transparent.
3. Next add the tomatoes, green peas and grated carrot. Add turmeric powder and salt and
let the veggies cook for few minutes.
4. Now add the water and bring it to a boil.
5. Next add the grits/ rava slowly little by little stirring continuously to avoid the formation of lumps.
6. Cover and let it cook for 5 minutes. Keep stirring occasionally until the grits/rava is completely cooked and absorbs all the water.
7. Garnish with cilantro and serve with any chutney
Rava Kichadi without turmeric powder