- Submitted by Dahlia on 25th Nov 2007
(Prawns Biryani, Prawns Biriyani, Erra Biryani, Jhinga Pulav)
Recipe For Shrimp Biryani
Shrimps(Prawns) - 1 lb
- Basmati rice - 2 cups
- Onion - 1(thinly sliced)
- Green Chilly - 2 (minced)
- Ginger-garlic paste - 2 tbsp
- Tomato - 2 ( crushed/finely diced)
- Lemon - 1
- Coriander leaves - handful
- Mint leaves - handful (optional)
- Chilly powder - 2 tsp
- Coriander powder - 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Curd - 1/2 cup
- Salt - to taste
- Cloves - 4
- Cinnamon stick - 1 piece
- Cardamom - 2 pods
- Bay leaf - 1
- Star anise - 1
- Ghee - 2 tbsp
- Oil - 2 tbsp
Devein and clean the shrimps and rinse with water thoroughly.
- Add 1 tsp of chilly powder, 1/2 tsp of coriander powder, a pinch of turmeric powder, 1 tbsp of ginger-garlic paste, curd and salt.Toss everything together and keep it aside.
- Heat ghee and oil in a deep pan and add cinnamon, cardamom, bay leaf, star anise and cloves.
- Add onions and fry till it becomes golden brown. Add the remaining ginger-garlic paste and green chilly and fry for 2-3 min, until the raw smell disappears.
- Add the tomatoes along with the rest of the chilly powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder and fry till a nice spicy paste is formed.
- Add part of the chopped coriander leaves saving a part for garnishing. Add chopped mint leaves and fry for another minute.
- Add the shrimp mixture to this paste and fry for 2 minutes. Overcooking the shrimp will make it rubbery.
- Put this mixture into a rice cooker along with rice and 3 cups water.Pour the juice of a whole lemon on top.
- Once the biryani is done, put it into an oven safe tray. Heat it for 10-15 minutes in a 350 degree oven to remove the excess liquid.(optional)
- Garnish with cilantro and fried shrimp.
- Serve the warm shrimp biryani with some raita for side.
More Shrimp Recipes