- submitted by Dahlia on 04-29-2011
(Indian Style Broccoli Vegetarian Stir Fry, Broccoli Thoran, Broccoli ki Sabzi)
Broccoli Poriyal is a South Indian style preparation with this very nutritious vegetable. Its a quick stir fry salad made with a dressing of fresh grated coconut and an aromatic seasoning. People who do not like this vegetable also would enjoy this preparation. It can be had as a side dish with rice or roti. One of my friend loves to have this as a salad as it is.
Broccoli - 1 bunch
- Onion - 1/2 (finely chopped/ grated)
- Green Chillies - 1
- Grated Coconut - 2 tbsp
- Curry leaves - 1 string
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Dry red Chillies - 2
- Urad dhal - 2 tbsp
- Salt - as needed
Wash the broccoli and chop it very fine. You can also pulse it a few times in the food processor.
- Heat oil in a kadai, splutter the mustard seeds.
- Add the urad dal, dry red chillies and curry leaves. Fry for a minute or so till the urad dal turns golden brown.
- Add the chopped onion and green chillies. Fry for a minute till the onion sweats.
- Add the finely shredded broccoli and required salt.
- Stir fry for about 3-5 minutes. The broccoli will become dark green in color and will be partially cooked.
- Add grated coconut, mix again and remove from the stove. Broccoli tastes best if it retains its crunchiness, so do not overcook it.
Add the tadka (seasonings), shredded broccoli, onions, green chillies, grated coconut and required salt in a microwave safe bowl and micro cook for 5 minutes in full power. Toss everything once in between.
- The broccoli poriyal will be a tasty and healthy side dish for plain rice or any variety rice. It can also be served with roti varieties or used to make wraps.
More Broccoli Recipes