-Submitted by Dahlia
(Christmas Fruit Cake, American Fruit Cake, Christmas Cake, Dense Fruit Cake)
Jump to recipe ↓
Fruit Cake is a very rich cake made with lots of candied fruits, dried fruits and nuts. The richness and sweetness of the cake, the candied and dried fruits is well balanced with the subtle flavor of the spices added, making it the best cake for special occasions. The American Fruit Cake is a dense cake compared to the fruit cake from other parts of the world and is loaded with candied fruits and nuts. It is made especially around the holiday season with red and green candied fruits. It is also made for weddings. It is usually served without frosting.
Fruit cake has its own variations in other countries. I have already shared my recipe for Indian Fruit Cake which is also called Kerala Plum Cake. The Indian fruit cake has a deeper color and a stronger spice flavor. It is little more spongy and less dense as compared to the American one.
Today I would like to share the recipe for the American Christmas Fruit Cake. This cake is either loved very much or hated i.e. people who love this can't stop eating it. Those who hate it often ridicule this cake. Most of my family members and friends fall in the first category and just love this cake. I personally never enjoyed it until I made it at home myself. Yes! to my surprise, the flavor of fresh homemade fruitcake is unbelievable. You get to control the quality and quantity of ingredients you add. I love almonds and cherries and added more of it. Ever since I have been making this cake every year. It is an awesome gift to give away for the holidays or to enjoy with your family. The recipe is unbelievably simple. Here you go..
Recipe For American Christmas Fruit Cake
- All Purpose Flour (Maida) - 1 cup
- Sugar - 1 cup
- Eggs - 4
- Baking Powder - 1 tsp
- Baking Soda - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Vanilla Essence - 1 tsp
- Ground Nutmeg - 1 tsp
Fruits and Nuts
You need 5 cups total of chopped dried fruits and nuts. You can use any of the following depending on your taste and availability.
- Candied Cherries
- Candied Pineapples
- Take all the dried fruits and nuts in a large mixing bowl.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into this. Toss it.
- Take the egg in a separate bowl and beat it. Add the sugar and vanilla essence to this.
- Add this to the dry ingredients. Mix it thoroughly. This may take some effort and time as the cake batter is very thick.
- Prepare your cake pan by greasing it with butter all over and dusting with some dry flour. If the cake pan is non stick or silicone, then you can skip this step.
- Add the cake batter to the pan and press it to make the top even.
- Bake it in a preheated 250 degree F (120 degree C) oven for about 2 hours. Check with an inserted tooth pick after 1.5 hours and remove it as soon as it comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool completely before you remove it from the pan. Make and enjoy this fruit cake for this Christmas.
- Cut the fruit cake into slices using serrated knife. Serve a slice of the cake as a snack with a cup of warm milk or as a dessert.
More Cakes and Muffin Recipes