- Submitted By Dahlia
Jump to recipe ↓
Pound Cake is a traditional European cake made with a pound each of the flour, butter, eggs (about 8-10 eggs) and sugar. It is a dense cake. When I make the cake with this measurement I have to use a bundt pan. It usually makes many servings and is perfect when you make for a get together or for some special occasions.
The following recipe is a smaller version that I follow often when making for just our family. I have substituted half the amount of butter with yogurt to make it moister. The sourness in the yogurt makes the cake lighter.
The measurement given below makes a small loaf and is perfect to be made any time. Do give this version of pound cake with yogurt a try and share your comments.
Recipe For Pound Cake
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
- All purpose flour (maida) - 1.5 cup
- Sugar - 1 cup
- Eggs - 3
- Unsalted butter - 1/2 cup
- Yogurt - 1/2 cup
- Vanilla extract - 1/2 tsp
- Baking Powder - 1/4 tsp
- Baking (or Cooking) Soda - a pinch
- Salt - a pinch
- Take the butter at room temperature and sugar in a mixing bowl. Cream it together using a whisk or a hand blender.
- Add the eggs one at a time and continue to whisk till the mixture turns light in color and fluffy.
- Mix in the yogurt and vanilla extract.
- Take the dry ingredients (flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda) in a sieve. Sieve it directly into the wet ingredients.
- Mix until everything is well combined. Do not over mix.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degree C (or 350 degree F). Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray and sprinkle some dry flour.
- Pour the batter into the pan. Pat it lightly to make the top even and also remove any air bubbles.
- Bake it for 45 - 50 minutes till a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Sometimes I like to mix 1/4 cup of grated white chocolate and 2 tbsp milk with the cake batter. In that case, reduce the sugar to 3/4 cup. This version of pound cake is delicious too.
Serving Pound Cake
- You can serve this cake as such or with some toppings or spread. I love to serve a slice of pound cake topped with some fruit compote. Yummy!!
More Cake Recipes