- submitted by Grace Sam on 25th June 2013
(Nethli Varuval, Podimeen Varuthathu, Kerala Anchovy Fry)
Netholi (Anchovies) - 1 lb (about 500 gms)
Coconut Oil - as needed for frying
Lemon Juice - 1 tblsp
Red chilly powder - 1 tblsp
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 1/2 tsp
Black pepper powder - 1/2 tsp
Fennel powder - 1 pinch
Ginger crushed - 1/2 " piece
Garlic crushed - 4 cloves
Curry leaves - 3 sprigs
Salt - to taste
1. Clean the fish thoroughly.
2. Mix all the ingredients under 'For Marination' to form a smooth paste. Sprinkle few drops of oil if needed.
3. Add the anchovies to this paste. Mix well so that the masala coats the anchovies fully.
4. Let it rest for a few minutes.
5. Heat oil in a frying pan and aplutter the curry leaves.
6. Next add the anchovies in one single layer.
7. After one side is fried turn it with a spoon. Shallow fry on medium flame till it is brown and crispy.
- This tastes excellent with some white rice or boiled tapioca.
- Some people like to have it as a cocktail snack.