- Submitted by Raji Ramakrishnan
(Apple Achaar, Apple Urugai, Green Apple Pickle, Red Apple Pickle)
I first decided to make this item when I bought a kg of red apples and they turned out to be very sour. My children refused to eat it. I remembered the green apple pickle that I had tasted in a restaurant once. So I decided to make pickle out of it and everyone liked it. The recipe is quite basic just like we make most instant pickles. My neighbors tasted and could not find out that it was made by apples. After that it has become a regular item in our house.
The restaurant people had made it with granny smith apples (green apples) which have a natural tartness. It looks green and tastes so much like raw mangoes. My kids love to eat green apples with a sprinkle of salt and chili powder which tastes delicious. So you can very well imagine that a pickle made with it would be super tasty too. Green apples can also be used to make chutney for chaats and salads. I always try to make this apple pickle with green apples as we all love it more. In the picture however, I had made with the sour variety of red apples which were good too. All of know the health benefits of apples and this is an interesting way of enjoying apples. Do not miss out to try this tasty pickle at home with either red or green apples.
Recipe for Apple Pickle
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
- Finely chopped apples - 1 cup (use red or green apples which are preferably sour)
- Red chili powder - 2 tbsp (adjust according to your requirement)
- Salt - to taste
- Oil - 6 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida - a generous pinch
- Sugar - 1 tsp (optional)
- Curry leaves
- Garlic cloves - 3-4(optional)
- Heat the oil in a kadai. For any type of pickles, sesame oil tastes good. When it becomes hot, add the mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds.
- When it splutters, add the garlic cloves, curry leaves, asafoetida and saute for a minute.
- Then add the apples. Saute for just couple of minutes and switch off the gas.
- Next add the red chili powder, salt, sugar (add only if you prefer sweetness in pickles) and mix well. If the sourness in apples is not sufficient, add a few drops of lemon juice. Just like any other pickle, the amount of salt, chili powder and sourness should be perfectly balanced.
- Allow it to cool and store in a airtight container. This could be consumed within two to three days. If you refrigerate, you can have it for a maximum of one week.
- For making Apple Thokku, grate the apples and follow the above procedure.
Serving Apple Pickle
- Enjoy this lovely, different kind of pickle with rice, bread or roti.
More Apple Recipes