- Submitted by Dahlia
(Poha Upma, Upma with Rice Flakes, Beaten Rice Upma, Pressed Rice Upma, Flattened Rice Upma)
Aval Upma is a savory snack made with the thick variety of flattened rice (or poha). It is such a simple dish that takes just 10 minutes to make. It is perfect for evening snack with a cup of tea or for as a light tiffin. It is also very healthy and easy to digest.
This recipe is the South Indian style of making upma. You have to use the thicker variety of poha to make this for best results. I will soon be sharing the famous Maharashtra style upma called Kandha Batata Poha.
Recipe For Aval Upma
- Aval (Flattened Rice/ Poha) - 1 cup (You can make with white or red aval)
- Onion - 1 (small - chopped)
- Ginger - a tiny piece (about 1/2" piece finely chopped or grated)
- Green Chili - 1 (sliced)
- Grated Coconut - 1 tbsp
- Coriander leaves (Cilantro) - 1 tbsp (finely chopped)
- Lemon Juice - few drops (about 1/2 tsp)
- Salt - to taste
- Turmeric powder - a pinch (optional)
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Peanuts (or Channa dal) - 2 tbsp
- Asafoetida - a pinch
- Curry Leaves - 5-6
- Dry Red Chili - 1
- Take the aval in a big colander or a sieve and wash it under running water.
- Let it soak in that moisture for about 5-10 minutes while you get the other things ready.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds and peanuts. Roast it on low flame till the peanuts are roasted and mustard seeds finish popping.
- Add the asafoetida, dry red chili and curry leaves.
- Add the chopped onions, ginger, green chili and turmeric powder. Saute for a minute.
- Add the soaked aval and mix. Sprinkle few drops of water if needed. Cover with a lid, reduce the flame and cook for 5-7 minutes. (Note : If you are using the thinner variety of aval, just cook for couple of minutes.)
- Add the lemon juice, grated coconut and coriander leaves. Mix and switch off.
- You can add vegetables like grated coconut, green peas, potatoes immediately after tempering, cook it and then add the soaked aval.
- Serve this aval upma with some spicy curry or with banana or with a cup of tea.
More Aval / Poha Recipes