- Submitted by Trupti
(Poha, Pohe, Pohay, Batata Pohe)
Jump to recipe ↓
Kande Pohe is an everyday household Maharashtrian breakfast. Kande Pohe is also known as Batata Pohe or simply Pohe. Pohe is something anyone can have in any time of day. It is a healthy, quick and easy to prepare, gluten free, stomach full. You can try any variation into it. Pohe recipe changes from each part of Maharashtra. Like the coastal part of Maharashtra added fresh coconut, madhya Maharashtra adds groundnut, some add Potatoes, carrot, peas, etc.. But then too basic Pohe remains same. Garma Garam Pohe and hot cup of tea makes your day.
Recipe for Kande Pohe
- 2 cups thick Pohe (Flattened Rice - Thick to Medium)
- 2 medium size onions
- 6-7 green chills
- 2 string Kadipatta
- 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup kothimbir
- 2 Tablespoons cooking oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Jeera
- 1/4 teaspoon Hing
- Salt and sugar to taste
- 1/2 cup Groundnut / finely chopped potatoes / steamed green peas / carrot
- 2 Tablespoons fresh grated coconut - optional
- Sieve and wash Pohe properly and let it be on siever for 4-5 minutes so that all water should be completely drained and Pohe becomes fluffy and free flowing.
- Chop Onions and chills.
- In an iron kadai heat oil add groundnut, let it splutter slightly.
- Add mustard seeds and let it splutter.
- Add Jeera hing kaddipatta and give a quick stir.
- Now add onions and sauté till translucent.
- Now add Pohe and stir properly for at least 2 minutes.
- Squeeze Lemon and finely chopped kothimbir (optional fresh grated coconut) and give a stir to mix all flavors
Note: If adding potatoes, make sure you finely chop and cover with a lid to cook potatoes. Once potatoes are cooked then only add onions and fry till translucent.
Note: If you are adding peas or carrot, then no need to cook for long time. Just stir for 1-2 minutes.
- Serve garma garam pohe with aadrak chai or sev chatani or even Tarri.
More Poha Recipes