- Submitted by Trupti
(Poha, Pohe, Pohay, Batata Pohe)
Jump to recipe ↓
Kande Pohe is an everyday household Maharashtrian breakfast. Kande Pohe is also known as Batata Pohe or simply Pohe. Pohe is something anyone can have in any time of day. It is a healthy, quick and easy to prepare dish. It is gluten free and makes your stomach full. You can try any variation into it. Pohe recipe changes from each part of Maharashtra. In the coastal parts of Maharashtra, people add fresh coconut, center (madhya) part of Maharashtra people add groundnuts, some add potatoes, carrot, peas, etc. But then too basic Pohe recipe remains the same. Hot (Garma Garam) Pohe and hot cup of tea makes your day.
Recipe for Kande Pohe
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Serves: 4 to 6
- Thick Pohe (Flattened Rice) - 2 cups
- Onions - 2 (medium size)
- Green chilies - 6 to 7
- Curry Leaves (Kadipatta) - 2 sprig
- Lemon - 1/2
- Coriander Leaves (kothimbir) - 1/4 cup (chopped)
- Cooking oil - 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Cumin Seeds (Jeera) - 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida (Hing) - 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Sugar - to taste
- Groundnut - 1/2 cup
- Finely hopped potatoes/ Carrot/ Steamed green peas - 1/2 cup (optional)
- Fresh grated coconut - 2 tbsp (optional)
- Sieve and wash pohe (flattened rice) properly. I usually put it in a sieve and show it under running water. Let it be on the sieve for 4-5 minutes so that all water will be completely drained and pohe becomes fluffy, free flowing.
- Chop onions and chilies. If you are adding other vegetables, chop it too.
- In an iron kadai, heat oil, add groundnuts and roast it.
- Add mustard seeds and let it splutter. Add cumin seeds, asafoetida, curry leaves and give a quick stir.
- Now add onions and saute till translucent. If you are adding other vegetables (potato, carrot or green peas), add it at this stage and cook till soft.
- Now add pohe, turmeric powder and stir properly for at least 2 minutes.
- Squeeze lemon and add finely chopped kothimbir (optional fresh grated coconut) and give a stir to mix all flavors
- If adding potatoes, make sure you finely chop and cover with a lid to cook potatoes. Once potatoes are cooked then only add onions and fry till translucent.
- If you are adding peas or carrot, then no need to cook for long time. Just stir for 1-2 minutes.
Serving Kande Pohe
- Serve garma garam pohe with aadrak chai (ginger tea) or sev or chatani or even tarri.
More Poha Recipes