- recipe by Raji Ramakrishnan submitted on 05-25-2012
(Banana Stem Chutney, Vaazhathandu Thuvayal)
Banana tree is used for all auspicious occasions specially wedding. The entire part of the banana tree is used - leaf is used for eating food, flower and raw banana is used for making subzi. When it is ripe, it is lovely no one will say no to it. The stalk is used for making subzi and vadam. The outer part of the same is used for making garlands. Each and every part is useful to us. Hence varieties of items are cooked and shared for you. Hope you all will enjoy.
Urid Dal - 2 tsp
Red chilli - 1
Green chilli - 1
Grated coconut - 1/4
Banana stalk - 4-5 rounds (after removing the thread from it)
1. Heat oil in a kadai, add the urid dal, red chilli and fry it. Remove from the kadai and keep it aside
2. Cut the banana stalk into long pieces or small pieces and saute it in the same oil. keep aside. See detailed banana stem cutting steps here
3. Add the curry leaves and saute for one minute.
4. Mix all the ingredients and grind to a coarse chutney. Enjoy with dosa, rice, chapati, adai etc.