- recipe by Raji Ramakrishnan submitted on 05-25-2012
(Vaazhathandu Pachadi, Banana Stem Raita)
Banana Stalk - 1 cup (finely chopped)
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Grated coconut - 1/4
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Green chilli - 1
Yoghurt beaten - 1/2 cup
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Fenu greek seeds - 1/4 tsp
Red chilli (broken) - 2-3 pieces
1. Cut and clean the banana stalk. See detailed banana stem cutting steps here
2. Pressure cook the banana stalk with turmeric powder and salt.
3. Transfer it to a cooking bowl.
4. Grind the coconut, green chilli and mustard seeds.
5. Add the ground mix to the banana stalk and boil.
6. Finally add the curd and take off the flame.
7. Temper with the tempering ingredients.
- Similarly, we can make raita. Boil the stalks with salt (no turmeric). Separate the boiled stalk from the water. Grind the coconut, mustard seed, green chilli and add to it (do not boil again now). Add the beaten curd in it. Temper with mustard seeds, urid dal and curry leaves.
: 30 minutes
: 50 minutes