- Submitted by Dahlia
(Indian Flat Bread With Beetroot, Heart shaped Beetroot Chapati, Valentine’s Day special Beetroot Paratha, Beetroot Flatbread)
There are two kinds of people that I have come across with regard to food habits. The first category is those that just feel comfortable eating the same type of food that they are used to. They do not experiment or try anything new. The second set of people on the other hand love variety. They want to try something new each time and easily get bored of routine. Kids often fall under the second category. They easily get tempted by their friend’s lunch boxes. They enjoy if the food is presented to them in interesting shapes and colors.
Today’s recipe, Beetroot Roti is one such interesting way of making chapatti. Very few people enjoy eating chapatti with beetroot sabzi. I’ve already mentioned about the goodness of beetroot here. It is very important to eat different vegetables because each one has its own set of vitamins that will keep you fit. When incorporated into the chapattis itself, no one will realize that they are eating beetroot. The bright red colored rotis look very inviting. Another good thing about including a vegetable while making the roti dough is that the final rotis come out super soft. We made this on Valentine’s Day and hence decided to make it in heart shape. You can also cut into other interesting shapes like Mickey Mouse, flower, triangle etc.
Recipe FOr Beetroot Roti
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Makes: 6-8 rotis
- Wheat flour – 1.5 cup
- Beetroot – 1 big (about 1 cup grated)
- Salt – ½ tsp
- Red chili powder – 1 tsp
- Roasted cumin powder – 1 tsp
- Garam masala – ½ tsp
- Chaat masala – 1 tsp (optional)
- Oil/ Ghee – to make the rotis
- Water – to knead the dough
- Peel the beetroot and grate it finely. You can also make a puree and proceed.
- Take all the ingredients – wheat flour, beetroot and dry spice powders - in a mixing bowl. Adjust the spices as per your taste. If you have a food processor, you can knead the dough easily in that.
- There will be plenty of moisture in the beets which will ooze out as the dough rests. Add little water only if necessary and knead the flour to form a stiff dough.
- Let the dough rest for about 5 minutes.
- Take small portion of the dough and make a smooth ball out of it. Roll it out using a rolling pin just like regular rotis.
- Since we were celebrating Valentine’s Day, I decided to cut it into heart shape. I just used a sharp knife and cut it free hand.
- Cook the heart shaped rotis on a heated tawa. Use some oil or ghee for cooking. Since the rotis are bright red in color, you may not be able to see the brown spots. Just cook for about 30 seconds on each side.
- Enjoy hot and healthy beetroot rotis.
- The beetroot rotis are very tasty as it is. You can serve it with some pickle and raita or some spiced yogurt. Kids love to have them with some tomato ketchup.
More Roti / Chapati Recipes