- Submitted by Aniket Daptardar
(Chandraseniya Kayastha Prabhu [CKP] style crispy fried chicken)
This is a typical fried chicken recipe from the Chandraseniya Kayastha Prabhu (CKP) community cuisine.
Recipe For CKP Fried Chicken
- 500g - 600g Chicken pieces
- 4 large cloves of garlic thinly sliced and chopped (1 ½ tbs)
- 1” piece ginger , thinly sliced and chopped (3/4 - 1 tbsp)
- 30 curry leaves (2 twigs), chopped
- 2 tsp Kashmiri Chilli powder
- ½ tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp salt or as required
- ¾ - 1 cup water
- Oil- as required (Please read the instructions)
- 2-3 green chillies (optional)
- 1 twig curry leaves (optional)
- Wash chicken, and pat dry. Marinate it with ginger, garlic, chilli powder, turmeric powder, curry leaves and salt for a minimum of 2 hours or overnight. If the pieces are big like leg, thigh or even breast, make 2-4 shallow slits on the meat so that the marinade can permeate through.
- Heat a saucepan, add chicken along with enough water; cover and cook until the meat is tender. Open the lid, increase the flame and dry up almost all the water. At this point, you can see that the oil has cleared from the chicken.
- After this, the frying process can be done in two ways as given below.
(a) When all the water dries up and the oil clears, turn down the heat to low-medium and add 2-3 green chillies and a twig of curry leaves. Fry until the chicken is evenly browned by flipping them frequently. This is the healthier way of frying it without using oil.
(b) Heat another frying pan, add 2-4 Tbsp of oil, add 2 green chillies and a twig of curry leaves. Add the cooked chicken along with the juices and fry till brown.
Note: Adding chillies and green chillies at the end are purely optional. You may omit them. The dish is good even without adding them. I just love the flavour of green chillies and curry leaves, so added a bit more.
More CKP Recipes