- Submitted by Dahlia
(Creamy Cauliflower Curry, Gobi Korma)
South Indian Kurma served with chapati is the most liked combination in Tamil Nadu. In North, chapati is had with different sabzis, dal and curries. In Tamil nadu, people just love to soak their chapati is the kurma curry and relish it.
Kurma is the South Indian variant of the Mughlai Korma. I have shared the most popular mixed vegetable kurma and the Chettinad Vellai Kurma already. The other kurma varieties typically made at homes on a day to day basis are the potato kurma, egg kurma, green peas kurma, thakkali kurma, surakkai kurma, soya kurma etc. This cauliflower kurma is also made often during winters when it is in season.
In our house, we love cauliflower and love to include it in our diet whenever possible. Kids enjoy it. Cauliflower kurma tastes very good and goes well not only with chapati but also with idli, dosa, rice, parotta and appam. There are different recipes followed by each household. This is the way we make at home. Do try and give your feedback..
Recipe for Cauliflower Curry
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
- Cauliflower - 1 (separated into florets)
- Onion - 1 (chopped)
- Green Chilies - 2 (slit lengthwise)
- Tomato - 2 (finely chopped)
- Ginger-garlic paste - 2 tsp
- Coriander Powder - 1 tbsp
- Red Chili Powder - 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1/4
- Whole garam masala - (1 cinnamon, 2-3 cloves, 1 star anise, 2 cardamon and 1 bay leaf)
- Salt - to taste
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Curry leaves - 5
- Cilantro - for garnishing
- Grated Coconut - 1 cup
- Fennel seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Poppy Seeds - 1 tsp (or use 5-6 cashews)
- Separate the cauliflower into florets and soak in hot salted water for 5 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan, add the whole garam masala and curry leaves.
- Fry the onions and green chilies till it turns golden brown. Saute the ginger garlic paste for another minute.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook it for 5 minutes. If you want a smoother kurma, puree the tomatoes and add it.
- Add the dry masala powders i.e red chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and salt.
- Add the cauliflower florets. Saute for a minute.
- Add about 1 cup water, cover and cook it for 5-7 minuets. If you want more gravy, add extra water.
- Grind together the grated coconut, fennel seeds and poppy seeds with sufficient water to a smooth paste. Add this paste to the curry.
- Reduce the flame and let the gravy simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro and switch off. Tasty kurma is ready to serve.
- Instead of grinding coconut, sometimes I like to add 1 cup of coconut milk. In that case, I do not add the poppy seeds and fennel seeds. This way also the kurma tastes really good.
- Other vegetables can be combined with cauliflower. My favorite combinations are cauliflower potato kurma and cauliflower green peas kurma.
- This curry goes very well with chappati, appam, idli and dosa. In the picture below I have served it with Ragi Chapati.
More Cauliflower Recipes