- Submitted by Dahlia
(Country Chicken Fry, Naatu Kozhi Varuval)
Jump to recipe ↓
Nattu Kozhi Uppu Varuval (Salted Country Chicken Fry) is another Chettinad delicacy. Though most of the Chettinad dishes are known for its blend of fresh spices, this one is different. This dish uses absolutely no spice powders garam masala, coriander powder etc. As a result, the natural flavors of the meat is highlighted. The recipe uses very few ingredients which are the key to the final taste of the dish. So it is absolutely essential to use those without substituting. This includes shallots, garlic pods and dry red chilies.
So why are you waiting to try such a simple recipe. Get started!!
Recipe for Naatu Kozhi Uppu Varuval
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Country Chicken (Nattu Kozhi) - 1/2 kg
- Shallots (Pearl Onions) - 20 (sliced)
- Ginger - 1/2 " piece (crushed)
- Garlic pods - 20 (crushed)
- Tomato - 1
- Dry Red Chilies - 10
- Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Fennel Seeds - 1 tsp
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Curry Leaves - 1 sprig
- Cilantro (Coriander Leaves) - 1 tbsp (finely chopped for garnish)
- Cut the chicken into medium sized pieces. Wash it thoroughly and drain all the water from it.
- Marinate the chicken with salt and turmeric powder. Let it rest while you get the other things ready.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the fennel seeds and curry leaves.
- Break and add the dry red chilies.
- Next add the chopped shallots, crushed ginger and crushed garlic. Saute till it turns soft.
- Add the chopped tomato and cook till tomato turns pulpy.
- Add the chicken pieces and saute for couple of minutes.
- Add required salt and about half a cup of water. Cover and cook the chicken for about 10-15 minutes.
- After the chicken is cooked, open the lid, increase the flame and stir fry till all the moisture evaporates. Continue until all the chicken pieces are fried and get a nice brown color.
- Finally sprinkle the chopped coriander leaves and switch off.
Awesome Chettinad Country Chicken (Nattu Kozhi) Uppu Varuvalis ready.
More Chettinad Recipes