- submitted by Dahlia
(Eral Thokku, Shrimp Masala)
Jump to recipe ↓
This recipe is a basic Prawns Masala recipe made with onions, tomato, ginger, garlic and few spices. This is also known as Eral Thokku in tamil. It can also be made with Shrimp. The final dish is so delicious. It goes well with rice or roti.
Prawns cooks very fast and also has lot of water content in it. The trick to making this dish dish perfectly is by cooking the masala very well before adding the prawns. That way the liquid from the prawns will just be perfect. If not, the whole masala will become watery. If you try to dry up the liquid, the prawns will get overcooked and rubbery.
Recipe For Prawns Masala
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
- Prawns (or Shrimp) - 1 lb (about 1/2 kg)
- Onion - 2 (chopped)
- Ginger - 1" piece (minced)
- Garlic - 5 cloves (minced)
- Tomato - 1 big (or 2 small chopped)
- Curry Leaves - 2 sprigs
- Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
- Red Chilly Powder - 1 or 2 tsp (adjust according to your taste)
- Coriander Powder - 2 tsp
- Garam Masala - 1/2 tsp
- Pepper Powder - 1/4 tsp (optional)
- Lemon Juice - few drops
- Oil - 1 tblsp
- Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Coriander Leaves (Cilantro) and Lemon wedge - for garnish
- Clean the shrimp (or prawns) and devein them.
- Add little salt, pepper powder and lemon juice. Let this rest and marinate till you prepare the other stuff.
- Take a frying pan and add oil to it. Splutter the mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Add the onions and saute till it turns golden brown. Add the finely chopped ginger and garlic.
- Add the chopped (or pureed) tomato. Cook till the tomatoes are totally mashed up.
- Mix the dry spice powder - turmeric powder, red chilly powder, coriander powder, pepper powder and garam masala. Let it cook till oil separates from the masala.
- Add the prawns and mix for 2 minutes so that all the prawns will coated with the masala.
- Add very little water and required salt. You can made a dry prawns (or shrimp) masala by cooking on low heat without adding any water. Adjust the water as per your requirement.
- Cover and let it cook for about 10 minutes till all the prawns curls up into a 'c' or 'O' shape. This is an indication that it is done.
- Garnish with cilantro and a lemon wedge and switch off.
Spicy prawns masala is ready to server.
More Shrimp/Prawn Recipes
More Chettinad Recipes