- Submitted by Raji Ramakrishnan
Jump to recipe ↓
This is a very special item which is made in Palghat District of Kerala. Since the mango season has started and lots of mango flowers are available, I decided to make it after a gap of 45-46 years. I am presenting a dish which most of the people may not be knowing. I do not know how the name was derived for this particular item. I remember faintly, during my childhood, in my granny's house this stuff was given to us after a SUMANGALYA PRARTHANA. I called up my mother's sister who is at Palghat and asked her how to make this.
The item is made up of Mango flower (seems interesting right??), vattal mulagu (dry red chilly), vellam(jaggery), puli (tamarind) and uppu (salt).
Recipe For Chukumanam
- Mango flowers - 1 cup
- Red Chillies - 2-3 (roasted with little oil)
- Wash the mango flowers, spread it on a piece of cloth to dry.
- Grind it along with the tamarind, slightly roasted chilli in the Khalpatta (means grinding stone).
- Add the jaggery and salt in it. Grind again till you get a mixture as shown in the picture.
Ingredients for chukumanam
Grinding the chukumanam
It is very tasty to eat. To be frank, everyone will not like it. Those who like it, enjoy and those who did not like it also, develop the taste. It takes about half an hour to grind the stuff.
More Mango & Mango Flower Recipes