- Submitted by Apoorva
(Corn Dessert, Sweet Corn Halwa, Corn Ka Halwa, Golden Delight)
Jump to recipe ↓
One fine day, we were expecting the arrival of my father-in-law’s elder brother. He was in USA during our wedding and had come to India for vacation. I was bit nervous and planning my lunch menu the day before itself. I somehow wanted to get a good impression from him as a new bride. I gave a list of vegetables and provisions needed to prepare the menu, the best I could prepare. My husband went to the departmental shop nearby and got me the things listed.
The next day morning I ran towards the kitchen to start cooking. Side by side I was also cleaning our new rented house. After all I should get a good impression right. I cooked one item after the other and pretty soon was ready with everything. I cleaned the kitchen and proudly sat for a while. I was visualizing the platter with my full lunch preparation. All of a sudden it stuck me that I hadn't prepared any dessert. I immediately called my mom and asked for an idea. She suggested me to make some halwa.
To make halwa, I checked my fridge for carrot or pumpkin but both were not here. I saw sweet corns in a basket and had a vague idea. Why don’t I try corn halwa? I started my new experiment as my guests were on the way.
Finally uncle family arrived and after all the initial formalities, got his blessings. I served lunch and was pretty anxious about my halwa. To my surprise, he appreciated my corn halwa so much and got some packed to eat later. I was filled with excitement and a sense of accomplishment that day.
Now here comes my experimented corn halwa recipe for you all to experiment. It has a beautiful natural golden colour that adds beauty to this sweet dish.
Recipe For Corn Halwa
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30-45 minutes
Shelf life: best when fresh, 2-3 days in fridge
- Semi crushed corn kernels - 1 cup
- Milk - 1 cup
- Pure ghee - 1 cup
- Khoya - 1 cup
- Semolina - 1 tsp
- Sugar - 1/2 cup ( or adjust according to your choice )
- Saffron(Kesar) - few strands dissolved in lukewarm milk
- Cardamom powder - 1/2 tsp
- Heat ghee in a thick bottom pan and add the crushed corn and sauté for 5-10 minutes.
- Then add semolina and keep stirring till it changes the color and stops sticking to the kadhai.
- Add milk and keep on stirring, add khoya and mix well. Cook the same till it leaves the sides of the vessel.
- Add sugar and mix well.
- When it thickens, add saffron soaked in milk and cardamom powder.
- Remove from the kadhai and transfer to serving dish. Garnish with chopped pistachio, badam and charoli. Your golden delight is ready to serve.
Serving Corn Halwa
- Serve this sweet corn halwa as a healthy evening after school snack with a cup of milk for kids.
- It can also be served as a dessert after any meal.
- It also can be served as a side with chapati or puri.
More Corn Recipes