- Submitted by Raji Ramakrishnan
(Corn Moongdal Modak, Paasiparuppu Kozhukattai)
Recipe For Corn Lentil Dumplings
Preparation time: 10-15 mts
Cooking time:15-20 mts
For the stuffing
- 1/4 cup Moong dal (soaked in water)
- 2 tbs Sweet corn
- 3-4 Green chilly
- 1 Small piece of ginger
Tempering for the stuffing
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Urid dal
- Few curry leaves
- A pinch of hing (asafoetida) powder
- 2 tbsp Grated coconut.
- 1 tsp Chopped coriander
For the covering
- Fresh rice flour - 1 cup
- Water - 1 cup
- Oil – 2 tbs
- Salt - ¼ tsp
Preparing the stuffing
- Remove the moongdal from the water and keep aside.
- Crush the green chilly and ginger in mixer. Add the moongdal and corn and just crush. Do not grind. Keep aside
- Heat oil in a kadai, add the mustard seeds and urid dal. When it is done, add the curry leavaes and hing powder.
- Add the corn moong mix, salt and saute the same till it leaves the adai. 5. Keep aside to become cool.
- Make oblong shape of the same. You can make nine pieces out of it.
Preparing the covering
Normally people boil the water and then add the rice flour. But I make it in a different way. Here I would like to mention that the water requirement differs little bit as some rice absorbs more water and some don’t. Hence we have to see and then add the water. Keep a glass of hot water aside for emergency use.
I used to mix the rice flour in the normal water to avoid forming lumps. Then along with the oil and salt, keep on low flame and continuously stir it till you get a nice rice ball leaving the kadai.
To make the modak
Transfer the rice ball to a plate and keep covered for 10 minutes. Later, apply some oil on your palm and knead the dough smoothly. Then make small ball out of it and prepare the cover, fill the corn moong poornam (stuffing) in it. Cover and steam for 5-7 minutes. Allow to cool. Remove and your prasad is ready for naivedyam.
More Dumpling Recipes