- recipe by Raji Ramakrishnan submitted on 09-17-2012
(Corn Moongdal Modak, Paasiparuppu Kozhukattai)
For the stuffing
For the covering
1/4 cup Moong dal (soaked in water)
2 tbs Sweet corn
3-4 Green chilly
1 Small piece of ginger
2 tbsp Oil
1 tsp Mustard seeds
1 tsp Urid dal
Few curry leaves
A pinch of hing (asafoetida) powder
2 tbsp Grated coconut.
1 tsp Chopped coriander
1. Remove the moongdal from the water and keep aside.
2. Crush the green chilly and ginger in mixer. Add the moongdal and corn and just crush. Do not grind. Keep aside
3. Heat oil in a kadai, add the mustard seeds and urid dal. When it is done, add the curry leavaes and hing powder.
4. Add the corn moong mix, salt and saute the same till it leaves the adai. 5. Keep aside to become cool.
6. Make oblong shape of the same. You can make nine pieces out of it.
Fresh rice flour - 1 cup
Water -1 cup
Oil – 2 tbs
Salt ¼ tsp
Normally people boil the water and then add the rice flour. But I make it in a different way. Here I would like to mention that the water requirement differs little bit as some rice absorbs more water and some don’t. Hence we have to see and then add the water. Keep a glass of hot water aside for emergency use.
I used to mix the rice flour in the normal water to avoid forming lumps. Then along with the oil and salt, keep on low flame and continuously stir it till you get a nice rice ball leaving the kadai.
To make the modak
Transfer the rice ball to a plate and keep covered for 10 minutes. Later, apply some oil on your palm and knead the dough smoothly. Then make small ball out of it and prepare the cover, fill the corn moong poornam (stuffing) in it. Cover and steam for 5-7 minutes. Allow to cool. Remove and your prasad is ready for naivedyam.