- Submitted by Raji Ramakrishnan on 18th April 2016
(Dill Leaves Toor Dal Dhokla, Shevid Tuvar na Dhokla)
These spongy cakes traditionally known as dhoklas are a nice snack recipe for tea time made with dill leaves. It can also be served in the morning for breakfast with chutney.
Traditionally dhoklas are made with gram flour (besan), bombay rava (sooji) or rice flour. This variation is made with tur dal and fresh dill leaves which improves it health benefits. It has a dark green color
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time:20 minutes
- Tur dal - 1/4 cup
- Dill Leaves - 1/2 cup (chopped)
- Rice flour - 2 tbsp
- Ginger garlic green chili paste - 1 tsp
- Cooking soda - a generous pinch
- Salt - as needed
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Oil - 1 tsp
- White sesame seeds - 1 tsp
- Curry leaves - few (optional)
- Grated coconut
- Grated carrots
- Wash and soak the tur dal for one hour.
- Grind the tur dal, dill leaves and rice flour to a smooth paste. The consistency should be like the normal dhokla or idli batter consistency.
- Add salt, ginger-garlic-green chili paste, cooking soda and mix well. Keep aside for 2 hours.
- Grease a tray for steaming and transfer the batter to it.
- Heat water in a steamer or a kadai. Place the tray in it, cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Allow it to cool.
- Make a seasoning with the items mentioned above. Pour this seasoning over the steamed dhokla.
- Cut into desired shapes and garnish with grated coconut and carrots.
- Serve with chutney.
More Gujarati Recipes