-Submitted by Dahlia
(Thepla, Fenugreek Leaf Thepla)
Jump to recipe ↓
Thepla is a Gujarathi flatbread and is the cousin of paratha. Instead of stuffing the vegetable as done in parathas, here we actually knead the dough along with the finely chopped/ grated/ paste of vegetables. Its a great way to include extra veggies in the diet, especially for kids.
Theplas have an amazingly long shelf life and is therefore a common travel partner. But you really dont have to be on a train journey to enjoy theplas. You can make different theplas at home and enjoy as a simple and healthy meal any day. The following recipe is with fenugreek leaves (methi). You could also make theplas with different grated vegetables like zucchini thepla, carrot thepla, bottlegourd (dhoodhi/lauki) thepla, broccoli thepla, spinach thepla, radish thepla etc.
Recipe For Methi Thepla
- Wheat Flour - 2 cups
- Besan - 2 tblsp
- Fenugreek (Methi) leaves - 1/2 cup (finely chopped)
- (You can also use other grated vegetables)
- Carom Seeds (Ajwain) - 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Red Chilly Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Ginger/ Garlic Paste - 3 tsp
- Green Chillies (finely chopped) - 1 tsp
- Corriander Cumin Powder - 1 tsp
- Corriander leaves (Cilantro) - 2 tblsp (finely chopped)
- Curd - 1/4 cup
- Baking Powder - 1/4 tsp
- Sesame seeds - 1 tsp
- Sugar - 1 tsp
- Oil/ Malai - 2 tblsp
- Salt - as needed
- Take all of the above ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix it nicely.
- Add required amount of warm water and knead it into a soft dough.
- Let the dough rest for 15-20 minutes.
- Divide the dough into lemon sized balls and roll into a circle similar to making chappttis.
- Heat a griddle and roast the thepla just like rotis.
- When small bubbles start appearing, flip the thepla.
- Cook till both the sides are cooked, till you get brown spots on both the sides.
- Transfer immediately to a hot pack to maintain its softness.
- Serve the hot methi teals with curd, pickle or chutney.
- You could also make theplas with different grated vegetables like zucchini thepla, carrot thepla, bottlegourd (dhoodhi/lauki) thepla, broccoli thepla, spinach thepla, radish thepla etc.
More Roti Varieties