- Submitted by Dahlia
(Garlic Rosemary Focaccia Bread)
Focaccia is an Italian flat bread usually topped with herbs, olive oil and cheese, onion, garlic, vegetables or meat. It is very simple to make yet very flavorful. You may top it with any ingredients of your choice.
Recipe For Focaccia Bread
- All Purpose Flour (Maida) - 4 cups
- Olive Oil - 1/4 cup + 2 tsp
- Salt - 2 tsp
- Warm Water (about 110 F) - 1 cup
- Sugar - 2 tbsp
- Yeast - about 2.5 tsp
- Garlic - 5 cloves (thinly sliced)
- Rosemary (dried) - 2-3 tsp
- Thin slices of onion - 1/4 onion
- Coarsely ground black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Mix the yeast and sugar with the warm water. Let it rest for about 5 minutes. If you see bubbles, the yeast is activated. If the yeast does not get activated, it is probably old and dead. There is no point in continuing. Yeast is a key ingredient in making breads. Always start with fresh yeast.
- Take this yeast mixture, all purpose flour, salt and olive oil in a food processor or stand mixer. You can also use the dough attachment in the Indian grinders.
- After the dough comes together, continue mixing for about 10 minutes till the dough becomes soft and pliable.
- Remove the dough, form it into a ball and coat it all around with some oil. Cover it with a damp cloth and let it rest in a warm place for about 1-2 hours or until it becomes double in size.
- Take the dough in a sheet pan or round cake pan. Stretch it with your fingers till it becomes about 1/2 " thick.
- Drizzle the top with some olive oil and top it with sliced garlic, onions, rosemary and crushed black pepper.
- Cover it again with the damp cloth and let it rest for another 45 minutes- 1 hour.
- In the meantime, preheat the oven to 220 degrees C (400 F).
- Bake the Focaccia bread for 20 minutes till it turns golden brown.
More Italian Recipes