- Submitted by Dahlia
(Garlic Rosemary Focaccia Bread)
Focaccia is an Italian flat bread usually topped with herbs, olive oil and cheese, onion, garlic, vegetables or meat. The main flavours of this bread comes from olive oil. So be sure to use good quality extra virgin olive oil.
Focaccia bread is very simple to make, rustic bread yet very flavorful. You may top it with any ingredients of your choice. Today I've topped with garlic, rosemary and sliced onions. You can top with olives, cheese, jalapenos, tomato slices or anything else. I love to serve it with some tomato or carrot soup and full baked chicken.
Recipe For Focaccia Bread
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- All Purpose Flour (Maida) - 4 cups
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil - 1/4 cup + 1/4 cup
- Salt - 2 tsp
- Warm Water (about 110 F) - 1 cup
- Sugar - 2 tbsp
- Yeast - about 2.5 tsp
- Garlic - 5 cloves (thinly sliced)
- Rosemary (dried) - 2-3 tsp
- Thin slices of onion - 1/4 onion
- Coarsely ground black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Mix the yeast and sugar with the warm water. Let it rest for about 5 minutes. If you see bubbles, the yeast is activated. If the yeast does not get activated, it is probably old and dead. There is no point in continuing. Yeast is a key ingredient in making breads. Always start with fresh yeast.
- Take this yeast mixture, all purpose flour, salt and olive oil in a food processor or stand mixer. You can also use the dough attachment in the Indian grinders.
- After the dough comes together, continue mixing for about 10 minutes till the dough becomes soft and pliable.
- Remove the dough, form it into a ball and coat it all around with some oil. Cover it with a damp cloth and let it rest in a warm place for about 1-2 hours or until it becomes double in size.
- Take the dough in a sheet pan or round cake pan. Stretch it with your fingers till it becomes about 1/2 " thick. Press with your finger at random places.
- Drizzle the top with another 1/4 cup olive oil and top it with sliced garlic, onions, rosemary and crushed black pepper.
- Cover it again with the damp cloth and let it rest for another 45 minutes- 1 hour.
- In the meantime, preheat the oven to 220 degrees C (400 F).
- Bake the Focaccia bread for 20 minutes till it turns golden brown.
Serving Fococcia Bread
- Cut the bread into slices and serve it with any hot soup as a meal. To make it more elaborate, serve some grilled chicken along.
- It can also be used to make sandwiches.
More Italian Recipes