- Submitted by Dahlia
(Preparing Ginger Garlic Paste at home in bulk, Adrak Lehsun ki paste, Inji Poondu Viludhu, Poondu-Inji Vizhidhu)
Jump to recipe ↓
As we all know, Ginger Garlic paste is an essential part of Indian cuisine. It is used by majority of the Indians everyday (unless you are a follower of Sattvic Diet).
Well, though it is used everyday, making it everyday is a waste of time and energy. It is always advisable to make it in bulk and refrigerate. It stores very well in the refrigerator for up-to a month. In the freezer it stay for up-to 6 months. When living in US, I used to buy peeled garlic from Sam's Club or Costco and make a big batch of ginger garlic paste. Now I get my maids help to peel big batches of ginger and garlic to make a paste. These days you get store bought ginger garlic paste. Don't waste extra money on buying the preservative filled store bought products. One days efforts will save you time for many many days.
Coming to the recipe, most people like to add equal quantities of ginger and garlic to make the paste. Its my choice too. As always, you can decrease or increase one ingredient as per your taste.
Recipe For Ginger Garlic Paste
- Ginger - 1 cup
- Garlic - 1 cup
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Buy fresh and good quality ginger and garlic. The ginger should be smooth and pale in color.
- Separate the garlic cloves and peel them.
How to peel garlic cloves easily???
- One easy way to peel garlic is to soak the cloves in water for 10-15 minutes before peeling.
- Another method is to put the garlic cloves in a closed glass bottle or stainless steel jar. Shake the jar vigorously for few seconds until most of the skin peels off easily.
- You can also hit the garlic cloves with the back of a knife or a hammer to remove the peel easily.
- I have heard that microwaving the garlic for 10 seconds will help to remove the peel easily. I haven't personally tried it yet.
- Scrape the skin of the ginger and wash it. Chop it roughly.
- Measure 1 cup each of the chopped ginger and garlic. It doesn't matter what measure you use, the point is to have equal quantities of both.
- Put this in a mixie or a blender and grind it coarsely.
- Add some salt and oil to this. The salt acts as a preservative and the oil helps in smooth grinding.
- Do not add any water. Grind it again to make a smooth paste. Now it is ready to use.
How to store the Ginger Garlic Paste???
- If you plan to refrigerate, then store the paste in an airtight glass bottle or a good quality plastic container. Put it in the coldest part of the refrigerator.
- If you want to freeze the paste, put them into small containers. This way you can take a small container, use it in the next few days by refrigerating and then take the next one.
- While using, do not expose it to room temperature for long time. This will change its color to pale green and also make it loose its freshness. Just use a clean, dry spoon and take the required amount.
More Ginger Recipes
More Garlic Recipes