- submitted by Aishwarya
(Roasted Bengal Gram Balls, Dalia Laddu, Chutney Dal Modak)
Jump to recipe ↓
This is the speciality of Tirunelveli. For each and every occasion, this is a must for them specially for wedding.
Roasted gram or chana is a popular form of snacks which is liked by people of all ages. Health benefits of roasted gram are as follows:
- It is an outstanding source of maganese, folate and protein ,copper, phosphorous and iron. All these are very necessary for good health.
- Roasted gram has lots of dietary fiber and this helps prevent constipation as it promotes easy bowel movement.
- Roasted gram is very low in fat and this is one of the main reasons that many people eat it.
- It is low in calories,high in protien & iron.
- Roasted gram Control Cholesterol level.
- Also helps in controlling glucose level in diabetes.
Recipe For Maa Ladoo
Preparation time: Less than 10 minutes
Binding time: 45 minutes.
Yield: 50 ladoos of the size i made
- 1 and 3/4 cup Chutney dal (Pottukadalai, Dalia,Roasted Bengal Gram)
- 1 and 3/4 cup Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom powder
- 1/2 Dry ginger powder
- Handful of cashews (break into small pieces)
- Ghee 3/4 cup
- Clean the chutney dal, remove the dust if any.
- Mix together the dal and sugar, cardamom powder, dry ginger powder and grind to a fine powder in the mixie. Remove it to a large bowl.
- Heat one teaspoon ghee and fry the cashews and keep aside.
- Heat the remaining ghee in the same kadai and pour half the quantity of ghee in the bowl. Mix well with the sugar, chutney dal powder.
- See whether you can bind it to a fine ladoo. If not, add some more ghee, mix well and bind to small ladoos.
This is a very easy method and lovely item.
Note: Too much ghee will make them soggy. The consistency should be able to make ladoos without breaking. That much ghee only should be used.
Normally dry ginger powder is not used. I used it because any kind of dals will produce gas. Ginger powder helps in digestion.
This can be put into the modak mould and make modaks too. Take the modak mould and fill the same in both the parts. Close the mould. Fill from the bottom, lightly press it while filling. Open the mould and remove the modak. It is very easy to make this.
- 1/2 cup chutney dal, 6-7 tsp sugar free, cashews and ghee. Ghee we have to see the consistency and add hence not mentioning the quantity. Makes around small 6 ladoos.
More Ladoo Recipes