- submitted by Trupti
Jump to recipe ↓
Masala Bhat is a traditional rice dish from Maharashtra, where aromatic rice is cooked with vegetables and a specific blend of spices called the Goda Masala. This Goda Masala is sually prepared in bulk in most Maharashtrian homes. My mom makes a big batch for me which I store for several months. However these days, it is available in supermarkets.
Masala Bath, which means spiced rice, is a one pot dish and is made during most special occasions. It can also be made any day for lunchbox. Masala Bhat tastes great by itself and doesn't need any side dish. Be sure to give this a try.
Recipe for Masala Bhat
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Serves: 4 - 6
- Rice - 2 cups (Use any aromatic rice variety like Ambe Mohr or Dubraaj. You can also use Basmati.)
- Mixed Vegetables (Potato, Carrot, Beans, Greenpeas, Cauliflower) - 1.5 to 2 cups (Chopped)
- Onion - 2
- Tomato - 2
- Green Chilies - 2
- Ginger-Garlic paste - 2-3 tsp (Ginger should be more)
- Turmeric Powder - 1 tsp
- Red Chili Powder - 1.5 tsp
- Goda Masala - 3-4 tsp (This is the main flavouring ingredient)
- Salt - to taste
- Hot Water - 4 cups
- Oil - 4 tbsp
- Ghee - 1.5 tsp + 1 tsp for garnish
- Mustard seeds, Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp each
- Cinnamon, Bay Leaf - 2 each
- Cloves, Cardamom, Peppercons - 5 to 6 each
- Curry Leaves (Kadi patta) - 2 sprigs
- Coriander Leaves - for garnish
- Wash and soak the rice for about 20-25 minutes.
- Chop the vegetables, onion and tomato. Slit the green chilies.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed vessel /pan. Once oil has become hot, temper with whole garam masala (Cinnamom, Cardamom, Cloves, Black Peppercons and Bay Leaves).
- Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and asafoetida. Let it splutter.
- Add curry leaves and slit green chilies. Then add chopped onion and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute till the raw smell goes. Then add chopped tomatoes and saute.
- Once tomatoes become mushy, add turmeric powder, red chili powder and goda masala. Saute till oil separates.
- Add the chopped vegetables and mix them very well so that it gets coated with the masala.
- Add the drained rice and saute properly for 3-4 minutes.
- Now add the boiling water and stir for few seconds. Lastly add salt, ghee and give a proper stir.
- Cover the pan with a tight fitting lid. Cook the bhat (rice) on medium flame for 5-6 minutes or till the rice is cooked.
- While hot, garnish with ghee and chopped coriander leaves. This enhances the flavour.
- When Masala Bhat is prepared for any Naivedyam, do not add onion and garlic. Just add some cashew nuts instead.
More Rice Recipes