- Submitted by Dahlia
(Eggplant Rice, Kathrikkai Sadam)
Vangi Bath (eggplant rice/ kathrikai sadam) is a typical Karnataka dish made with brinjals and a nice blend of spices. The dish is simple to be made for a lunchbox and elegant enough to be made for a party too. Here comes the recipe.
Recipe For Vangi Bath
- Rice (I prefer basmati rice) - 2 cups
- Brinjal - 2 big eggplants/ 4 medium/ 6 small (cut into big chunks)
- Onion (optional) - 1 big (finely chopped)
- Tomato - 1 / Sour Curd - 1/4 cup
- Green Chillies - 2
- Whole garam masala - 1 tbsp (1 stick cinnamon, 3 cloves, 1 star anise, 2 cardamon,1 bay leaf)
- Oil (preferably sesame oil)/ Ghee - 2 tbsp
- Ground nuts (optional) - 1 tbsp (roasted)
- Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Coriander leaves(Cilantro) - 2 tbsp(finely chopped)
- Asaefoetida - a pinch
- Coriander Seeds - 1 tbsp.
- Chana dal - 1 tbsp
- Urad dal - 1 tbsp
- Kus kus - ½ tsp
- Sesame seeds - 1 tbsp
- Peppercorns - 1 tsp
- Dry red chillies - 2 or 3
- Curry leaves - 1 strand
- Copra or coconut(grated) - 2 tbsp
- Heat little oil in a pan and roast all the spices under 'ingredients II' till they turn golden brown.
- Let it cool down and then grind it into a coarse powder (vangibath powder) and keep aside.
- Soak the rice for 10-15 minutes, cook it separately with required salt and keep aside.
- Heat oil/ghee in a deep pan, add the whole garam masala and groundnuts. Saute the onions and green chillies till it turns golden brown.
- Next add the tomatoes/ sour cud and saute it.
- Add the eggplant pieces, turmeric, asaefoetida and little salt to it.
- Add the vangibath masala powder to this, cover and let it cook till the eggplant (brinjal) is cooked nicely.
- Add the cooked rice to this and mix well so that the rice is nicely coated with the masala. (Alternatively, if you do not have cooked rice, add this masala along with rice and cook it.)
- Garnish the vangi bath with finely chopped cilantro. Serve with papad and raita.
- A tbsp of lemon juice can be added at the end for additional flavor.
- You can cook the rice with coconut milk to make it extra rich.
- You can make the vangibath powder in bulk and store it for several days.
More Brinjal/Eggplant Recipes