-Submitted by Raji Ramakrishnan
(Manathakkali Moru, Black Nightshade Buttermilk, Hound's Berry Buttermilk, Wonder Berry Buttermilk)
This is a simple recipe that my mother makes when any of us had a stomach upset. Manathakkali is widely used for dysentery, stomach ulcers etc.
- Curd - 1 cup
- Manathakkali (Black Nightshade) - 1/2 tsp
- Ginger - a small piece
- Garlic - 1 clove
- Salt - to taste
- Turmeric Powder - 1 pinch
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Asafoetida (Hing) - a pinch
- Curry leaves - few
- Beat the curd with turmeric powder, salt and keep it aside.
- Crush the garlic and chop the ginger finely.
- Heat oil in a kadai, and pop the mustard seeds. Fry the manathakali for few seconds.
- When it is done, add the curry leaves, asafoetida, crushed ginger and garlic. Saute.
- Add little water and boil it.
- Finally add the moru (beaten curd) and switch off. After adding the moru, it should not boil.
- Serve the manathakkali moru as drink on a hot summer day
- It can also be served as a gravy for white rice.
More Curd/Buttermilk Recipes