- Submitted by Raji Ramakrishnan
(Shredded Mango Pickle, Grated Mangai Achaar)
Jump to recipe ↓
It is very common to make varieties of mango pickles during the mango season. There is vadu mangai made with tender mangoes, instant mango pickle and many more made in different ways in various places. This grated mango pickle is made in Tamilnadu. It is such a delicious pickle, you can't stop licking your fingers. One of my friend first shared this recipe with me and I loved it the very first time I made it. This pickle is a perfect combination with all south indian style variety rice and white rice.
Once you make it, you can store it for 3-5 weeks. It can also be used as a spread for making sandwiches or with chapattis. It also like this pickle for making instant achari chicken or achari paneer. Once you make this, you will know that the possibilities are endless. This pickle has never stayed for more than a week in my house. We just love to eat it with everything and finish it. Do give it a try yourself and you will understand what I am talking about.
Recipe For Mango Thokku
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- Grated Mango - 2 cups (2 medium sized mangoes)
- Red chili powder - 2 - 3 tsp
- Asafoetida - a pinch
- Curry leaves - few (optional)
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Salt - 1 or 1.5 tsp (depending upon the sourness of mango adjust)
- Oil (preferably sesame oil) - 5 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Peel the mangoes. Grate it using a grater or a food processor.
- Heat the oil in a kadai. Add mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, asafoetida and curry leaves.
- After it splutters, add the grated mango and turmeric powder. Saute the same for about 3 minutes till it becomes tender.
- Add the red chili powder, salt and mix well. Cook for another 5 minutes in medium low flame until oil separates. Be careful to keep stirring often so that it doesn't get burnt at the bottom.
- Once done, switch off. Cool the thokku and transfer it to a glass bottle or bharani. It stays good for upto a month.
Detailed Steps for making Mango Thokku
Take a couple of medium sized mangoes. Wash them, trim the tips and peel them.
Grate it using a hand grater or a food processor. I like grate it thicker as I prefer some texture in the final pickle.
Keep all the other ingredients ready before switching on the stove as everything gets done very fast.
Heat the oil in a kadai. Add mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, asafoetida and curry leaves. After it splutters, add the grated mango and turmeric powder. Saute the same for about 3 minutes till it becomes tender.
Add the red chili powder and salt as per your taste. Mix everything and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
Keep stirring often and cook until oil separates. Thokku is ready to be served.
- This can be served with dal rice, curd rice, sambar rice, rasam rice, dosa, chapatti etc.
More Pickle Recipes