- recipe by Dahlia submitted on 11th Dec 2013
Wheat flour - 1.5 cup
Salt - 1/4 tsp
Oil - 2 tsp
Mixed vegetable stuffing
Oil - 1 tblsp
Onion - 1 (finely chopped)
Ginger garlic paste - 1/2 tsp
Potato - 2 medium size
Peas - 1/4 cup
Other mixed vegetables (like carrot, cabbage, capsicum, cauliflower etc - very finely chopped or grated)- 3/4 cup
Coriander leaves (finely chopped) - 2-3 tblsp
Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Garam masala - 1 tsp
Cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
Amchoor Powder - 1/2 tsp
Carom seeds (Ajwain) - 1/4 tsp
Salt - as needed
Step 1 : Make the dough
1. In a bowl, mix together the wheat flour, salt and oil.
2. Add water little by little and make a soft dough.
3. Knead the dough well to make it pliable. Smear the dough ball with 2-3 drops of oil and cover it.
4. Let it rest for atleast 20 minutes. In the meantime make the stuffing.
Step 2 : Make the filling
1. For th filling, I prefer to grate all the vegetables or use a food processor to chop it finely.
2. Microwave the vegetables till it becomes soft.
3. Cook the potatoes and peas till soft. You can pressure cook them or microwave.
4. Heat oil in a kadai and add the carom seeds.
5. Add the grated/chopped onions and saute for few minutes.
6. Add the ginger garlic paste and saute for a minute.
7. Next add all the spice powders and fry for about 30 seconds.
8. Add the vegetables, mashes potatoes, peas and required salt.
9. Mix everything well and switch off.
Step 3 : Make the parathas
1. Cool the stuffing a bit and then make lime sized balls with it.
2. Make balls with the dough about the same size.
3. Take one dough ball and roll into a small circle.
4. Place a ball of stuffing in the centre of the rolled out dough.
5. Gather all the corners of the roti and pinch it together in the top.
6. The stuffing has to be completely covered with the dough. Remove any excess dough.
7. Do the same with the rest of the dough and stuffing balls.
8. Take this stuffed ball and roll it out gently. Use some dry flour to prevent sticking.
9. Roll out from all the sides until you have a 6" circle.
Step 4: Cooking the parathas
1. Heat a tawa/griddle and put a rolled out paratha on it.
2. When you see white spots, flip it.
3. Spread 1 tsp of ghee/oil on top.
4. When the lower side cooks and gets some brown spots, flip it.
5. Apply some ghee/oil on the other side too.
6. Make the rest of the parathas.
- Store the parathas in an insulated container to keep them soft while making the rest of the parathas.
- Serve the parathas with spiced curd, boondhi raita or pickle.
Other Parathe Recipes