- Submitted by Raji Ramakrishnan
(Sweet Rice Dumplings)
Paal Kozhukattai is a traditional sweet prepared by making small balls using a dough made with rice flour. It is then cooked in milk or coconut milk sweeten with jaggery or sugar.
Here is a small variation with almond powder. Almond powder is added along with milk which thickens it as well gives a nice flavor.
- Rice powder - 1/4 cup
- Water - 1/4 cup
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Salt - a pinch
- Sugar - 1/4 cup
- Milk - 1 cup
- Cardamom powder - a pinch
- Saffron - few strands
- Almonds - 10-15
- In a kadai, mix the rice flour, salt, oil and water to a smooth paste.
- Cook the same in slow flame till it thickens. The dough will form a nice ball and starts leaving the edges of the kadai.
- Switch off the gas, cover it and keep it for 10 minutes.
- Then knead the same smoothly. Make small marbles out of the dough and keep aside.
- In another wide vessel, boil the milk and sugar.
- Powder the badam (almonds).
- Reduce the flame and add the prepared rice marbles and badam powder carefully to the boiling milk.
- Simmer and cook for 15 minutes till all the balls start floating.
- Add the saffron strands and cardamom powder. Remove from the gas and serve hot or cold as you wish.
More Dumpling Recipes