- Submitted by Dahlia on 7th Aug 2016
(Healthy Pav Bhaji with no Aloo)
Pav bhaji, a Mumbai street item which is relished by each and everyone throughout India. This is another street food like the pani puri, bhel puri etc.Normally it is made with almost all the vegetables along with the main ingredient potato. You can find the recipe of theauthentic Mumbai style pav bhaji here
For those who cannot have potato due to health reasons, I have an alternative version of pav bhaji. I have used elephant foot yam (also known as suran or chenai), carrots, cauliflower and raw banana instead of potato to get the traditional mash. You can also use beetroots. Also, I have used very less oil and butter as compared to the traditional one which is smothered with butter. To make the whole dish healthier, use multi-grain buns or whole wheat pav instead of the traditional pav made with refined flour. You can still enjoy and satisfy your craving in a lot healthier way. So here's the recipe.
Recipe for Pav Bhaji
Preparation time: 15 min
Cooking time: 45 min
- Cauliflower - 3-4 big florets
- French beans - 10
- Yam (Suran) - 125 grams
- Carrot - 1 big
- Cabbage - 3-4 leaves
- Raw banana - 1 big
- Capsicum - 1 medium (You can also use vegetables like green peas, bottle gourd, brinjal, beetroot etc.)
- Onions - 3 medium (finely chopped)
- Ginger - 1/2"
- Garlic - 3-4 cloves
- Tomatoes - 3 (finely chopped)
- Pav bhaji masala - 1 tbsp
- Red chili powder - 1/2 tsp
- Butter - 3 tbsp
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Coriander leaves (Cilantro) - for garnishing
- Onion - 1 (finely chopped for garnish)
- Wash all the vegetables and finely chop it. (I chopped them all in the food processor)
- Peel the banana and cut it into small pieces.
- Cut the skin of the yam and chop it.
- Heat water in pressure cooker. Put all the vegetables, salt and turmeric powder.
- Cook the same for 5-6 whistles. Allow the pressure to go down by itself.
- Heat oil and butter in a kadai, add the chopped onion, little salt and saute the same till it is translucent.
- Add the tomatoes, ginger garlic paste and cook the same till you get a nice paste out of it.
- Add the red chili powder, pav bhaji masala (according to your taste) and saute well. You can use any good brand of pav bhaji masala.
- Add the cooked vegetables and stir it continuously. Smash the same with the ladle or a potato masher or with the pav bhaji smasher.
- Add one glass of water and cook till you get a thick consistency.
- Switch off and take it in a serving dish. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves, finely chopped onion, butter and a dash of lime. Enjoy it hot.
Serving Pav Bhaji
- Pav Bhaji is typically served with toasted pav buns as a side dish. You may serve with multi-grain buns, whole wheat bread etc.
- It can also be served with chapatti or whole wheat wraps.
More Vegetarian Side-dishes