- submitted by Trupti
(Pithala Bhaat, Besan Curry)
Jump to recipe ↓
Pithla is an authentic Maharashtrian recipe. Pitla is spicy semi-solid Besan curry. It can be made with easily available ingredients at home, it’s a quick and healthy recipe. It tastes awesome with any type of Bhakri or piping hot rice.
Recipe for Pithla
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Besan (gram flour) - 1/2 cup
- Water (adjust according to consistency) - 3.5 to 4 cups
- Onion - 1 medium (chopped)
- Garlic - 7 to 8 cloves (crushed, do not make paste)
- Green chilli - 3 to 4
- Curry Leaves (Kaddipatta) - 1 string
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida (hing) - 1/4 tsp
- Oil - 2 to 3 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Fresh coriander leaves and Grated Ginger for seasoning
- Take Besan in a bowl and add 1/2 cup of water and mix well. No lumps should be formed, this is most important.
- Add more 1/2 cup water mix and keep aside for 4-5 minutes
- Take a saucepan and heat oil. Temper with mustard seeds, cumin seeds (jeera), asafoetida (hing), turmeric powder, curry leaves (kaddipatta), green chillies and crushed garlic. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Later add chopped onions and fry.
- Now add the besan mixture, add more 2 cups of water and keep stirring. Add salt when pithla is in liquid form itself.
- Keep stirring and cook for 3-4 minutes till it starts thickening. The curry should be in a semi solid consistency.
- Switch off the gas stove and garnish it with coriander and ginger.
- You can even mix besan with sour thin buttermilk. It gives a nice taste.
- Serve hot with bhakri or piping hot rice accompanied with mirchi thecha or sandge mirchi and papad.
More Maharashtrian Recipes