- recipe by Dahlia submitted on 23rd Oct 2013
(Mathanga Halwa, Poosanikkai Halwa, Kaddu ka Halwa)
Pumpkin Pie filling - 1 can
Milk - 1/2 cup
Maida (All Purpose Flour) - 2 tblsp
Sugar - 1/2 cup
Ghee - 1/4 cup
Nut (cashews, almonds, walnuts) - as needed
1. Take the pumpkin pie filling, maida and milk in a wide heavy bottomed pan or kadai. You can also make this with pumpkin puree.
2. Cook till the milk is absorbed.
3. Add the sugar and cook for few minutes.
4. Next add the ghee and cook with constant stirring till it starts leaving the sides of the pan. When you mix it, all the halwa starts moving as one big mass.
5. Switch off at this stage. Garnish with fried nuts.
- I haven't added cardamom powder or saffron stands that are part of the traditional Indian halwa. This is because the pumpkin pie filling has its own flavouring. If you make the same halwa with pure pumpkin puree, then do add those.
- Enjoy this tasty halwa with pumpkin pie filling for your next Halloween or thanksgiving.
- Check out this variation of Diet Pumpkin Halwa for diabetic people