- Submitted by Dahlia
(Mathanga Halwa, Poosanikkai Halwa, Kaddu ka Halwa)
A classic fusion dessert that is made by using pumpkin pie filling to make a south Indian style halwa. A desi way to celebrate haloween.
Recipe For Pumpkin Pie Halwa
- Pumpkin Pie filling - 1 can
- Milk - 1/2 cup
- Maida (All Purpose Flour) - 2 tbsp
- Sugar - 1/2 cup
- Ghee - 1/4 cup
- Nuts (cashews, almonds, walnuts) - as needed
- Take the pumpkin pie filling, maida and milk in a wide heavy bottomed pan or kadai. You can also make this with pumpkin puree.
- Cook till the milk is absorbed.
- Add the sugar and cook for few minutes.
- Next add the ghee and cook with constant stirring till it starts leaving the sides of the pan. When you mix it, all the halwa starts moving as one big mass.
- Switch off at this stage. Garnish with fried nuts.
- I haven't added cardamom powder or saffron stands that are part of the traditional Indian halwa. This is because the pumpkin pie filling has its own flavoring. If you make the same halwa with pure pumpkin puree, then do add those.
Enjoy this tasty halwa with pumpkin pie filling during Halloween or thanksgiving.
More Halwa Recipes