- Submitted by Dahlia
(Gongura Chutney, Gongura Pachadi, Pulicha Keerai Thuvayal, Ambadi ki Chutney)
Gongura Pachadi (Red Sorrel Leaves Chutney) is a specialty condiment from the state of Andra Pradesh. It is also found in other states of India, as well as in some other countries. Red Sorrel has a naturally sour taste. The flowers are sometimes used to make juice. These greens are recommended during summer months as it has a cooling effect. In Andhra, there are many dishes made with gongura that includes Gongura dal, Gongura Mamsam, Gongura Pachadi and the very famous Gongura Pickle.
There are 2 types of gongura leaves (Sorrel Leaves) available - one with red stem and the other with white stem. The leaves with red stem are sourer than the white variety.
This chutney is very flavorful and can be stored in the refrigerator for a week. Let us see how to make this.
Recipe For Red Sorrel Leaves Chutney
- Fresh Red Sorrel Leaves (Gongura, Pulicha Keerai) - 1 bunch
- Dry Red Chilies - 4
- Green Chilies - 1
- Garlic - 10- 15 cloves
- Fenugreek seeds- 1/2 tsp
- Channa dal (Bengal gram dal) - 1 tbsp.
- Urad dal (Black gram dal) - 1 tbsp.
- Peanuts - 2 tbsp.
- Salt - to taste
- Oil - 2 tbsp.
- Oil - 1 tbsp.
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Urad dal - 1 tsp
- Dry red chilies - 2
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Wash the leaves for at least 2-3 times in plenty of water to remove all dirt. Pluck the leaves and discard the stem.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a heavy bottomed pan and roast the peanuts, channa dal, urad dal, fenugreek seeds and the dry red chilies. Fry on low heat till they turn golden brown.
- Remove it with a slotted spoon onto a plate and let it cool.
- In the same pan add another tbsp of oil and saute the green chili, garlic cloves and sorrel leaves. In about 3-4 minutes, the leaves will get wilted.
- Switch off and let it cool too.
- Grind the roasted seeds, chilies, garlic and the leaves together with enough salt to a smooth paste.
- Take the chutney in a bowl. Heat oil in a small pan and do the tempering. Add this on top of the chutney.
- Tasty Gongura chutney is ready to serve with rice, roti or dosa.
More Chutney Recipes
More Greens Recipes