-Submitted by Raji Ramakrishanan on 21st Sep 2015
(Dry Coconut Chutney, Chammandi Podi With Milk Extracted Coconut, Dry chutney with remains of coconut after extracting milk)
This chutney is made out of best out of waste. After extracting the milk from the coconut, normally, the remaining coconut is thrown out. My mother used to make this sambara podi which goes well along with curd rice, dal rice and dosa/idli like we use milagai podi. So why are u waiting. try this.
- Thenga Peera (remains of coconut after extracting the milk)- 1 cup
- Coriander seeds - 2 tbsp
- Tamarind - 1 small piece
- Red chili - 4-5 numbers (or as per your taste)
- Salt - to taste
- Asafoeitida - 1/4 tsp
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Roast the coriander seeds. Roast the coconut till it becomes brown. Roast the red chili. Allow all these to cool.
- Grind it in mixer including salt and asafoetida to a coarse powder and store in an airtight container.
This chammandi podi is called by us as sambara podi. You can store for about one month in the fridge.
- If you like the taste of sesame seeds and curry leaves, roast and add the same at the last moment while grinding.
More Coconut Recipes