- Submitted by Raji Ramakrishanan
(Dry Coconut Chutney Powder, Chammandi Podi With Milk Extracted Coconut)
Jump to recipe ↓
Sambara Podi or Thenga Chammandhi Podi is a tasty dry chutney powder that stays good for many months.This chutney is made out of best out of waste. After extracting the milk from the coconut, normally the remaining coconut is thrown out. My mother used to make this sambara podi which goes well along with curd rice, dal rice and dosa/idli like we use milagai podi. For many recipes coconut milk is extracted. The remaining coconut still has a lot of coconut flavour left. When you roast it with red chilies, salt, tamarind and crush it, you have a awesome tasting condiment. So why are you waiting. Do try this.
Recipe for Sambara Podi
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Thenga Peera (remains of coconut after extracting the milk)- 1 cup
- Coriander seeds - 2 tbsp
- Tamarind - 1 small piece
- Red chilies - 4-5 numbers (or as per your taste)
- Salt - to taste
- Asafoetida - 1/4 tsp
- Oil - 1 tsp
- In a pan, dry roast the coriander seeds. Remove it in a plate.
- Roast the coconut on low flame till it becomes golden brown.
- In the end, add the red chilies and tamarind. Switch off and allow all these to cool.
- Grind it coarsely in mixer including salt and asafoetida to a coarse powder and store in an airtight container. You can store this for about one month in the fridge.
- If you like the taste of sesame seeds and curry leaves, roast and add the same at the last moment while grinding.
More Coconut Recipes